A guide to making a personal injury claim

By Howard Willis

Whether you are based in Gravesend or anywhere in the country, we can will manage your claim and we will arrange a medical assessment at a centre near you .

Do I have a injury claim?

If you have been injured, or were diagnosed with an injury or illness, in the last three years and another party owed you a duty of care, Quittance can help you make a claim for financial compensation.

Check my claim online

How much compensation can I claim for an injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in general damages and special damages.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

See a list of what you can claim for:

Examples of special damages include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

Find out what your claim could be worth now

Assessing a claim's value at the outset can be complicated.

If you would like a FREE claim estimate with no obligation to start a claim, call 0800 612 7456.

Alternatively, our compensation calculator will give you an instant estimate of what your claim is worth.

Calculate my injury claim

Qualifying for personal injury compensation

Claims must be made within a 3-year window, starting from the date the injury occurred in most cases.

To win a Gravesend personal injury case, your lawyer must prove that the defendant owed you a duty of care, that the defendant breached that duty, and that your injury or illness was caused by that breach.

In all cases, answers and invaluable guidance can be provided by a brief, no-obligation consultation with an expert Gravesend solicitor.

How much can I claim?

The financial compensation you are likely to get is based on the severity of the injury and any losses or costs you incur. Our compensation calculator gives a good idea of the compensation you could get for your injuries, lost earnings and any other losses.

Calculate my injury claim

Work accident claims in Gravesend

Worker injured in accident

Quittance has assisted claims for claimants, from office workers to exhibition display designers, to claim compensation. Accident statistics for the Gravesham local authority reported in accordance with legislation by the Health and Safety Executive in the following table:

Workplace accidents in Gravesham Local Authority (RIDAGGR)2011/122012/132013/14
Machinery related injury632
Exposed to explosion200
Exposed to fire101
Harmful substance exposure (e.g. PAH)110
Fall from height (scaffolding)1657
Animal related (e.g. riding accident)121
Physical assault1372
Slip, trip or fall (not from height)363428
Struck against456
Struck by moving vehicle210
Struck by object18114
Trapped under falling object100

Read more: No win, no fee work injury compensation claims

Road traffic accident claims in Gravesend

Cars involved in a road accident

Accidents involving cars, motorbikes and other vehicles in Gravesend are common. Government statistics reveal a total of 5830 accidents (5236 slight accidents, 546 serious accidents and 48 fatal accidents) in 2013 in Kent local authority district. In 2014 accidents increased to 6,303. Incidents in the Gravesend area in 2013 included road traffic collisions on the dual carriageway of the A2 and A227 slip road and on the dual carriageway of the A2 and A226 slip road.

Our network of specialist road traffic accident (RTA) personal injury lawyers have years of experience in achieving the highest awards for anyone who has sustained an injury in a car or motorbike crash in Gravesend.

Read more: Road accident compensation claim

Other types of claim

Clinical and medical negligence in Gravesend

Clinical (or medical) negligence is the term used when a person suffers injury or illness due to the carelessness of a GP or other health worker. Quittance's expert panel of injury lawyers can help you claim compensation from the NHS hospital or clinic that was at fault.

Alternatively, you could follow the NHS complaints procedure if you only want answers as opposed to a compensation award. For example, you can write to Darent Valley Hospital, Darenth Wood Road, Dartford, Kent, to raise a complaint against Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust.

Read more: No win, no fee medical negligence claims

Serious injury

The Courts recognise that a serious injury has a significant effect on an injured person. Damages should ease the financial load on a claimant and their dependants enabling them to focus on rehabilitation.

Quittance's panel of lawyers for many years have helped claimants impacted by serious accidents and injuries.

Read more: No win, no fee serious injury claims

Slip, trip and fall injuries

Officially reported statistics highlight the fact that employee slips and trips are the most common cause of accidents leading to injury in the Kent workplace in 2014/15. These types of accident are sometimes connected to injuries filed under a different category such as being struck by moving machinery, a fall from a height or an exposure to fire accident. Public place (Gravesham local authority) claims for injuries like broken arms experienced on slippery pavements are also common with pavement trips having happened on Singlewell Rd and on Old Rd West.

Industrial disease

Lawyers can assist with securing compensation for a multitude of industrial illnesses that include anything from noise induced hearing loss to benzene poisoning.

Read more: No win, no fee industrial disease claims

Gravesend No Win, No Fee Solicitors

You can confidently make a claim without any financial risk with Quittance's No Win, No Fee guarantee. Our national network of solicitors cover Gravesend and across the UK.

Find out more about No win, no fee compensation.

Meet the QLS team

The national panel of QLS solicitors handle all types of personal injury claims in Gravesend, from short-term injury cases to serious motorcycle injury claims. Our solicitors are chosen on the basis of their professionalism and their track record in winning cases.

Click here to meet more of the team.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Rakhi Chauhan Road Accident Panel Solicitor
Tim Fieldhouse Industrial Disease Panel Solicitor

Has Quittance handled many Gravesend claims?

Quittance Legal Services is a national panel of award winning personal injury solicitors that helps injured people in Gravesend, Kent and across the country, get maximum compensation for their injuries.

We have helped 100's of injured claimants in Kent get compensation for a range of accidents and injuries, from injuries sustained from a fall at work to car accidents.

Local medical centres, home appointments (if required) and a team of experts only a phone call away, mean that making an injury claim is as clear and straightforward as possible.

Frequently asked questions

Are claims run on a 100% No Win, No Fee basis?

If your claim is not successful, 100% of the solicitor's fees are covered. You won't have to pay a penny to start a claim.

Choosing the best no win no fee personal injury lawyer for you is critical for your accident

Identifying the most appropriate legal team for your legal matter is a key step towards negotiating the best compensation settlement.

With some over 100 offices within 25 miles of Gravesend - how do you ensure you select the best firm to act for you?

The contrast in the level of success fees charged by lawyers working on Conditional Fee Agreements is significant.

E.g. the amount of financial compensation retained by a claimant being awarded compensation of ?5,132 for minor eye injuries could vary from ?3,079 to ?4,362.

Further reading Compare solicitors

Do I need to go with a local Gravesend injury lawyer ?

The location of the solicitor is less important as injury cases are normally run by phone, post and email.

It is however necessary to instruct a company that has medical facilities near Gravesend as you will be expected to attend a medical examination.

See - What is the process for attending a medical?

Read Gravesend solicitor reviews

The quality of advice offered by solicitors, as with any service, can vary.

Online reviews can be helpful when weighing up which solicitor to select.

Read more Personal injury lawyer reviews

Case studies

Serious Injury Solicitor

Rakhi Chauhan secures £80,000 following a road collision with a lorry

The victim was forced off the road when a lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Read more
Serious Injury Solicitor

Kevin Walker obtains £80,000 for a construction worker's catastrophic hand injury

The worker also recieved trauma-specialist physiotherapy, welfare advice and state-of-the-art prostheses.

Read more
Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

About the author

Howard qualified as a solicitor in 1984 and has specialised in personal injury for over 25 years. He is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and is a recognised Law Society Personal Injury Panel expert.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert