If NIHL has set you back, we'll help you move forward

Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) is a significant concern, especially in environments with constant loud noise, such as certain workplaces or public events.

If you have been affected by NIHL, we can help. If your injuries were caused by someone else's actions or negligence, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

You can make a No Win, No Fee compensation claim with the help and support of a personal injury solicitor.

What is noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL)?

NIHL is an umbrella term that includes several different hearing conditions, including:

  • Acoustic shock syndrome - damage to the ear caused either by a single intense "impulse" sound at close proximity, such as an explosion, or through repeated exposure to high-frequency, high-intensity sounds through a headset.
  • Tinnitus - a ringing, buzzing, or whistling sound in one or both ears. (see: NHS tinnitus)
  • Occupational deafness - permanent cell damage to the inner ear that causes partial or complete deafness.

Damage typically occurs gradually. Over time, sounds may become muffled or distorted, and it may become difficult to understand other people when they speak.

Damage from NIHL, combined with aging, can lead to hearing impairment so severe that hearing aids are necessary to amplify sounds.

NIHL can make it very challenging to communicate and engage in daily activities.

You are not alone

Exposure to noise at work is the most common cause of adult-onset deafness.

An estimated 11,000 workers with work-related hearing problems and 85 cases of occupational deafness were reported to the HSE in 2022/23 (hse.gov.uk).

Thousands of new claims for NIHL are made each year, accounting for around 75% of all industrial disease claims made against employers.

If you have experienced NIHL as a result of your work, you may be able to claim financial compensation.

If you decide to make a noise-induced hearing loss claim, your personal injury solicitor will take you through every step of the claims process. Your solicitor will be with you until you win your claim and get the compensation you need to move forward.

If you need information on hearing loss symptoms and treatment, see: Hearing loss (nhs.uk).

Am I entitled to make a noise-induced hearing loss claim?

In general, you can claim compensation if you were hurt:

  • within the last 3 years, and;
  • another person was to blame, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.

Use our injury claim calculator to find out if you can claim. Or you can call 0800 376 1001 to speak to a specialist advisor. Find out in minutes if you have a claim.

My injury was partly my fault - can I still claim?

Cases where the defendant and claimant are both partly to blame are actually quite commonplace in personal injury claims.

In our 2024 Personal Injury Claimant Survey, 13.99% of respondents believed they were partly responsible for their injuries, or were uncertain.

The legal term for cases where an injured person was (to some extent) responsible for their injuries is 'contributory negligence'. If there is fault on both sides of a claim, it is possible to pay reduced compensation on a split liability agreement.

Read more:

Can I claim if I feel I was partly responsible for my accident?

How long do I have to start a noise-induced hearing loss claim?

An injury claim will usually need to be made within 3 years of the date or your accident or injury.

You may still be able to claim compensation if you were injured by another's negligence and you only discovered it later. Generally, the clock starts ticking from the date you were diagnosed or became aware of your injury.

How much compensation can I claim for a noise-induced hearing loss?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the seriousness of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injuries have affected your life. Your solicitor will take these considerations into account to calculate the correct compensation award.

Noise-induced hearing loss compensation calculator

Get an accurate compensation estimate (including for multiple injuries), confirm your legal position, and check if you have a No Win, No Fee claim.

Updated June 2024 Compensation Calculator v3.04

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College (judiciary.uk) and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

How is compensation calculated if I have multiple injuries?

Special damages

Special damages is compensation for quantifiable financial losses you've incurred as a result of your NIHL Compensation can include lost wages and business losses (if you're self-employed), and any additional expenses directly related to your injury.

These damages will also cover any medical or treatment bills, such as hearing aids, cochlear implants, noise protection and counselling.

Read more:

A complete list of recoverable losses in a personal injury claim

Average Noise-Induced Hearing Loss general damages compensation

The following Noise-Induced Hearing Loss payouts refer to the Guidelines for the Assessment of General Damages in Personal Injury Cases, Sixteenth Edition by the Judicial College (oup.com).

These tables are used by solicitors or by the courts as a starting point when calculating your compensation.

Please note: these average figures represent general damages only, and do not include any element of special damages (e.g. lost wages).

Example Amount
Hearing loss
Minor deafness or tinnitus Up to £6,370
Moderate deafness or tinnitus £11,450 to £13,550
Total loss in one ear £28,460 to £41,400
Serious deafness or tinnitus £13,550 to £27,010
Severe deafness or tinnitus £27,010 to £41,400
Total deafness £82,500 to £99,680

Who is at risk of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss?

Noise-Induced Hearing Loss occurs most commonly in people working in environments where the noise levels are over 80dBA. Exposure to high levels of noise over a long period can cause permanent hearing impairment. The effects are usually irreversible.

Quittance's panel of solicitors have helped workers who have suffered NIHL in a variety of industries, including:

  • Mining
  • Engineering
  • Construction
  • Car manufacturing
  • Shipyards
  • Road drilling.

Whichever industry you work in, if you have a hearing impairment as a result of your working conditions, you may be able to claim compensation.

Is my employer liable?

Employers have a duty of care to protect staff from the risk of NIHL in the workplace.

There are several laws governing health and safety, including the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. However, the primary piece of legislation is the Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005.

These regulations aim to protect your hearing from excessive noise at work.

To comply with the legislation, employers must carry out a thorough risk assessment of the noise levels in the work environment. When noise reaches the legal limit of 80 to 85 decibels, the employer must take action to reduce the noise. Measures might include:

  • Using quieter machinery
  • Installing sound barriers and absorbent materials
  • Shortening working periods

Changes to the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) regulations

The Personal Protective Equipment at Work (Amendment) Regulations 2022 came into force on 6 April 2022.

This legislation means that employers have an obligation to provide free Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to all workers, including workers who are self-employed or on a zero-hours contract.

Under the previous 1992 regulations, employers were only required to provide PPE to employees with a formal employment contract.

Suitable PPE for people working in noisy environments can include disposable ear plugs, corded ear plugs, ear defenders and helmet mounted ear defenders.

If you are injured as a result of air pollution at work and your employer failed to provide you with suitable PPE, you may be entitled to claim compensation - even if you are self-employed.

What if my employer has ceased trading?

It is possible to bring a claim even if your employer has ceased trading. Your solicitor will trace your former employer's insurers through Employers' Liability Tracing Office (ELTO). A compensation settlement will then be negotiated with the insurance company.

If in the unlikely event, court action against an employer that has 'dissolved' is necessary, the employer could be reinstated to the Register of Companies held at Companies House.

The personal injury solicitor will conduct this process as part of the legal process.

Read more:

Can I claim compensation if my employer has gone bust?

What happened?

Claiming compensation depends on the cause of your noise-induced hearing loss. Click the icons below for read more:

No win, no fee noise-induced hearing loss compensation claims

With no win, no fee, you can claim noise-induced hearing loss compensation without financial risk. If your claim isn't successful, you pay nothing. If you win, you only pay a pre-agreed percentage of your compensation.

Find out more about how no win, no fee claims work

Get expert advice now

Interested in talking to an injury specialist about your claim?

  • Calls are FREE
  • Confidential consultation
  • No obligation to claim

Call 0800 376 1001

We are open until 9pm this evening.

or arrange a callback


Source: (reviewed: 08/12/2023)

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor