Public Place Accident Compensation Claims

If your life, or the life of a loved one, has been affected by an accident in a public place we can help.

The purpose of this guide is to help anyone who has suffered an accident in a public place and is considering a legal claim for compensation. If you are looking for medical advice, please see the NHS website.

In our guide to claiming public place accident compensation:


An owner or operator of a public place has a duty of care to ensure that all areas accessible by the public are safe, and the risk of injury is minimised.

If you are injured as a result of a breach of this duty of care, you may have a right to claim compensation.

Claims for accidents in public places are referred to as Public liability Claims or Occupiers Liability Claims. These terms refer to the fact that there is a company, public body or other party who is the owner or occupier of the place in which you were injured, and this party is liable for your injury.

Typical public place injury claims include slips, trips and falls on uneven pavements and roads or in commercial premises such as supermarkets, shops and car parks.

Do I have a public place accident claim?

A public place accident injury claim should be possible if your injury happened:

  • within the last three years, and;
  • another person was to blame, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.
Check my claim

Do I have a claim? - Common questions

What if a child was injured?

The 3 year rule does not apply to minors.

A claim can be pursued for anyone under the age of 18 by a parent, guardian or litigation friend. The injured child has up to the age of 21 to start a public place accident claim on their own behalf.

Read more about claiming injury compensation on behalf of a child.

What if I want to make a multi-party or group claim?

A multi-party claim (sometimes referred to as a 'group claim' or a 'class action') brought by a group of people who have sustained the same or similar injuries due to the negligence of the same defendant. How you start a multi-party claim will depend on the circumstances and we recommend you speak to a solicitor for more information.

How can compensation help me?

The purpose of compensation is to try to put you back in a position you would have been in if your accident had not happened. Financial compensation can only go so far in terms of compensating you for an injury.

An injury, whether sustained in a public place or anywhere else, can have severe implications for you and your family. Quittance's panel of specialist public liability solicitors have a track record of securing compensation awards:

  • for pain and suffering
  • to cover any medical expenses such as physiotherapy
  • to reimburse any other expenses or damage to personal property
  • to cover any loss of earnings including those anticipated in the future

The claims process

As part of a free consultation, before you start a claim your solicitor will discuss the circumstances of your accident and explain your options. Your solicitor will be sensitive to your treatment and recovery and will direct the legal process in parallel with your needs.

Typically claims are made against councils and local authorities, government bodies and institutions, transport operators, companies or individuals providing a business or service. Public liability claims can also extend to accidents that occurred in a private dwelling.

Most cases are settled out of court as public liability insurance companies prefer to avoid expensive and protracted legal action.

What type of public place accidents has Quittance helped with?

The panel of solicitors has a wealth of experience assisting clients injured in a variety of public places, including:

  • shops, supermarkets and DIY stores
  • railway and bus stations, garages, car parks, petrol stations and taxi ranks
  • fitness centres, gymnasiums, solaria and swimming pools
  • poorly maintained roads, pavements and footpaths and unsafe road works.
  • leisure and theme parks
  • construction and building sites
  • schools, colleges and universities
  • bars, restaurants and pubs

How likely am I to win my claim?

To successfully claim compensation for a public liability accident, you and your legal team need to show that another person or company was responsible for your injury. This is usually the owner of the property where your accident happened.

If the owner of the public property has admitted liability for the claim, your chances of winning are good. If liability is only partly accepted or contested, it will be harder to reach a successful outcome.

A personal injury solicitor will help collate all of the evidence with a view to constructing the most robust case. To assist in this process you are advised to::

  • report the accident to the owner of the property, or in the case of commercial premises such as a shop, report it to the staff
  • if you did not report it at the time of the accident, report it now and include as much detail as you can remember
  • ensure that the accident is logged in the company's accident book if you are injured on commercial premises
  • take names and addresses or contact details of any witnesses
  • take photographs of the scene of the accident
  • measure any defect that caused the accident, e.g. raised flooring or a damaged paving slab that lead to a trip

How much compensation can I claim for a public place accident?

The amount of money you could claim for your public place accident will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your public place accident has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after a public place accident? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

How is compensation calculated if I have multiple injuries?

If you have sustained multiple injuries, the compensation amounts are not simply added together.

The upper bracket of the most serious injury may be considered as a starting point, with a reduced amount applied for the other less severe injuries.

For example:

General damages for a serious leg injury can be £40,000

For a more minor wrist injury, in isolation, you would typically receive £2,900.

However, if you have a serious leg injury and a more minor wrist injury, you would typically receive £40,000 + a reduced percentage of £2,900.

Special damages, such as loss of earnings are not usually increased if you have multiple injuries. Read more about multiple injury claims.

What is the average injury compensation for a public place accident claim?

The Judicial College injury tables give a approximate idea of the ranges awarded for different injuries.

However, the money you would receive following a public place accident will depend entirely on your specific circumstances.

Your public place accident compensation will be calculated based on the unique impact your injuries have had on your life and your ability to work, and on the actual financial losses you have incurred as a result of your injuries.

Can I claim for prescription costs?

Special damages are awarded for costs or losses incurred as a result of the public place accident injury. Damages can include loss of earnings, treatment cost and any other 'out-of-pocket' expenses such as prescriptions.

Can I see the complete judicial college tables?

The table above (excerpted from the Judicial College Tables) shows the most common public place accident claims. To see the complete list see: Judicial College Injury Tables.

Calculate my public place accident compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for a public place accident injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your public place accident claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

How long does a public place injury claim take?

The length of time needed to get compensation for an accident in a public place can vary significantly.

For example, a straightforward liability accepted public place accident claim might be concluded in a few weeks. If the defendant denies liability, a compensation claim can take longer. Typically, a public place accident claim will take 6 to 9 months. See more: How long will my claim take?

Caring and sensitive support

Your solicitor will handle your public place accident claim from the initial consultation through to the financial settlement. In addition, your solicitor will work with other specialists to help you with:

  • Financial support: interim payments while you are unable to work.
  • Advice: on personal injury trusts, tax and welfare benefits.
  • Coordination: with rehabilitation providers and therapists.
  • Access: to treatment and therapies not always available on the NHS.

No win, no fee, no risk

No Win, No Fee is an agreement with your solicitor (known as a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA) that means that you can make a public place accident claim with:

  • no upfront legal fees
  • no solicitor's fees payable if your claim is not successful
  • a success fee payable only if your claim is successful

No Win, No Fee is the most common way to make a compensation claim.

No win, no fee promise

Our no win, no fee guarantee means there is zero financial risk in making a public place accident claim, even if you don't win your claim. Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

What do I pay if I win my public place accident claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee which is deducted from your compensation, after your compensation is awarded. The solicitor's success fee can be up to 25%. You and your solicitor can agree the success fee before you start your claim.

What do I pay if I do not win my public place accident claim?

If your public place accident claim is not successful then you do not have to pay any legal fees at all. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

Is there a catch?

The Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) sets out the terms between you and your solicitor., No Win No Fee is a regulated activity and as such there should be no nasty surprises in the agreement. Nevertheless, it is recommended that you read the agreement carefully and ask any questions if you are unsure.

How can Quittance help?

Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, and the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning injury claims.

If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, we are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back
  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Public place accident FAQ's

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more about claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I was partly responsible for an accident?

You may still be able to claim compensation even if you contributed to your accident or to your injuries.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more about claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long do I have to make a public place accident claim?

In general, you have a time limit of up to 3 years from the date of the public place accident to make an injury claim.

The last date you can make a claim is known as the claim limitation date - after which your public place accident claim becomes 'statute barred'.

Can I claim for a public place accident after 3 years?

Possibly. The general rule for adults is that a claim must be started within three years.

However, the three-year countdown starts on the day you learned of your injury or illness. This will usually be the date of the accident, but could be the date your doctor gave you a diagnosis.

If you were injured as a child, you do have up until your 21st birthday to make a claim.

There other circumstances that can also impact the limitation date. Call us now on 0800 376 1001 to find out if you are still able to claim public place accident compensation.

In reality, there are a number of factors that can affect whether a public place accident claim will be taken on by a solicitor.

Calculate your claim limitation date

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. The vast majority of claims that are settled by the solicitor panel are settled out of court.

Only a very small percentage (approx. 5%) of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are held in front of a judge, not a jury.

Read more: Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

Will I have to go to a solicitor's office?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. As with most professional services, it is no longer necessary to meet face to face with your solicitor. Personal injury claims are dealt with via email, post and telephone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more: Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

Can I get an early compensation payment?

If you suffer financial hardship as a result of an injury, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is a partial settlement of your claim which is paid before your claim is concluded. The amount you receive in interim payments would then be deducted from your final compensation settlement or award.

Read more about interim compensation payments.

Chris Salmon, Director

Chris Salmon, Director