Were you injured in an accident that wasn't your fault?

If you've been injured in an accident, we can help you to claim compensation for any pain, suffering and financial losses.

How we can help

Each year, we help injured people in Abingdon, Oxfordshire and across the UK claim compensation for:

Can I make a claim?

The basic criteria for making a claim are that the injury must have occurred:

  • within the last three years, and;
  • another person was at least partly to blame, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. There are quite a few other factors that can affect whether a successful claim will be possible, such as the accident circumstances or whether the claim is considered to be low-quantum.

If you would like to find out if you have a claim, speak to us now on 0800 376 1001. If you prefer, you can check your claim online with our Online Claim Checker:

Check my claim

How much compensation can I claim for an injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after an injury? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

Calculate my injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for an injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your injury claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

Road accident claims in Abingdon

You have a right to start a claim for compensation if you have been involved in an accident and hurt on Abingdon's roads due to a negligent driver.

No matter if you were a passenger in a car accident, or have been involved as a pedestrian on Abingdon's roads, Quittance's guide to road accident compensation explains everything you need to know about starting a claim.

Road accident claims

Work accident claims in Abingdon

If you have been injured because of your employer's negligence, you should be legally entitled to make a claim.

No matter what your job is - whether you are a scaffolder injured on a building site or a journalist injured in the office, our work injury claim guide shows you how best to make a successful work accident claim.

Work accident claims

Other claim types

Accidents in a public place

Health and Saftey Executive data expose the fact that employee slips, trips and falls are, by some degree, the most common cause of injury at work in Oxfordshire in 2015. Slips, trips and falls are typically the cause of injuries filed under a different category for instance being hit by tools in use or an electrical discharge accident. Public place legal claims for injuries such as facial scarring suffered on spillages are also common with street falls having occurred on Wootton Road and on Reynolds Way.

Public place accident claims

Medical negligence

Medical negligence (clinical negligence) is the term for when someone is injured due to the carelessness of a doctor or other health worker. If you have been the victim of medical negligence, Quittance can help you make a claim against the hospital or clinic responsible for the injury.

You could use the NHS Resolution process if you only want a detailed explanation of what happened rather than injury compensation. To make a complaint against Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust, for example, you can contact Warneford Hospital, Warneford Lane, Headington, Oxford, Oxfordshire.

Read more: Medical negligence compensation claim

Medical negligence claims

More claim types

Courts recognise that serious injuries have a life-altering impact on an individual and their dependants. By limiting the financial pressure catastrophic and serious injury puts on an injured claimant and their dependants, a successful claim allows them to concentrate on their recovery and rehabilitation. Our network of expert law firms work with insurers and the defendant's representatives to ensure people affected by major accidents get legal and medical support.

Read more: Serious injury compensation claims

Other types of claim

Abingdon No win, no fee Solicitors

A No Win, No Fee agreement protects injured claimants by ensuring that they will not need to pay any legal fees if their claim is unsuccessful. This agreement is also called a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA.

Under a CFA, Abingdon injury claimants will also not have to pay any fees upfront.

The Quittance No Win, No Fee guarantee

Our No Win, No Fee solicitors have helped injured people in Abingdon, Oxfordshire and throughout the UK make a claim without any financial risk to you.

What do I pay if I win my injury claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee when they settle your injury claim. This fee is deducted from your final compensation.

By law, a solicitor's success fee can be up to a maximum of 25%, whichever law firm you choose.

You can discuss the success fee percentage with your injury lawyer, before the claim process starts.

What do I pay if I do not win my injury claim?

You will not have to pay any legal fees if your solicitor does not win your injury claim. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

How we can help

Specialist solicitors with an excellent track record of securing injury compensation for claimants.

Your lawyer will work hard to ensure you receive a compensation settlement that accurately reflects the pain, suffering and losses you have incurred as the result of your injury.

If would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, or have any questions at all, speak to us.

We are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back

  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Frequently asked questions

How much experience do your solicitors have of winning claims in Abingdon?

We are a nationwide network of SRA regulated personal injury lawyers that helps people injured in Abingdon, Oxfordshire and across the UK, obtain financial compensation for their injuries.

Our expert solicitors have helped 100's of injured claimants throughout Oxfordshire get compensation for a range of injury circumstances, from part-time worker injuries to cycling accidents.

With a 90% success rate, our service is designed to be as easy and stress-free as possible. Local medical centres, home appointments (if required) and an expert team at the end of the phone, enables you to focus on your recovery.

Does Quittance offer 100% No Win, No Fee

If your claim is not successful, our No Win, No Fee policy covers 100% of your legal fees. This means that there is no financial risk in making a claim.

Abingdon solicitor reviews

The levels of service provided by injury lawyers, as with any professional service, can vary a great deal.

Speaking to friends or relatives or reading reviews can certainly be a good place to start if you are contemplating which solicitor to sign up with and which considerations are most important to you.

Read more Personal injury solicitor reviews

The difference in the level of fees between law firms is quite surprising.

E.g. the amount of financial compensation retained by a successful claimant having been awarded £12,045 for mild asthma can vary from £7,227 to £10,238.

Read more at How to compare personal injury fees

Do you need to instruct a local Abingdon solicitor?

The whereabouts of the lawyers office is less relevant as injury cases are, as a matter of course, run by phone, post and email.

It is however necessary to choose a solicitors' firm that has national medical centres as you will almost always have to go to an independent medical examination.

See - What is the process for attending a medical?

What are the road accident statistics in Abingdon

Accidents involving cars, motorbikes and other vehicles in Abingdon are quite common with statistics showing a total of 1962 accidents (1635 slight accidents, 308 serious accidents and 19 fatal accidents) in 2013 in Oxfordshire local authority area. By 2014 accidents increased to 2,201. Accidents in Abingdon in 2013 included collisions on the A415 and A34 roundabout and on the single carriageway of the A415 and B4017 junction.

Our group of qualified no win, no fee lawyers have vast experience in obtaining maximum damages for anyone who has been injured in a road accident in Abingdon.

What are the Abingdon work accident statistics?

The latest 2019 work accident figures in the Vale of White Horse Local Authority (2013/14) reported under regulations by the HSE excerpted below:

Workplace accidents in Vale of White Horse Local Authority (RIDAGGR)Reported Injuries
Electrical injury1
Machinery related injury4
Explosion related (e.g. Nitroglycerine)1
Harmful substance exposure (e.g. food poisoning)2
Fall from height8
Animal related (e.g. riding accident)4
Manual handling30
Physical attack0
Slip, trip or fall40
Struck against1
Struck by moving vehicle0
Hit by object9

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more about claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I was partly responsible for an accident?

You may still be able to claim compensation even if you contributed to your accident or to your injuries.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more about claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long will my claim take?

The length of time needed to secure compensation can vary considerably.

For example, straightforward car accident claims can settle in a matter of weeks, whereas complex medical negligence cases can take years.

Injury claims can also take longer if it is not clear who is responsible for your injury, or if liability is denied by the defendant.

Taken from average case times, this table sets out approximately how long personal injury claims take to settle:

Personal injury claim type

Estimated claim duration*

Road accident claims

4 to 9 months

Work accident claims

6 to 9 months

Medical negligence claims

12 to 36 months

Industrial disease claims

12 to 18 months

Public place or occupiers’ liability claims

6 to 9 months

MIB claims (uninsured drivers)

3 to 4 months**

CICA claims (criminal assault)

12 to 18 months**

*RTA and other claims processed through the Ministry of Justice portal can settle faster.
**Official Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)  Government agency and Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) figures.

Read more about how long personal injury claims take.

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. The vast majority of claims that are settled by the solicitor panel are settled out of court.

Only a very small percentage (approx. 5%) of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are held in front of a judge, not a jury.

Read more: Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

Will I have to go to a solicitor's office?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. As with most professional services, it is no longer necessary to meet face to face with your solicitor. Personal injury claims are dealt with via email, post and telephone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more: Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

Can I get an early compensation payment?

If you suffer financial hardship as a result of an injury, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is a partial settlement of your claim which is paid before your claim is concluded. The amount you receive in interim payments would then be deducted from your final compensation settlement or award.

Read more about interim compensation payments.

Paul Carvis, Personal injury solicitor

Paul Carvis, Personal injury solicitor