A guide to making a personal injury claim

By Paul Carvis

If you live in Enfield or anywhere else in the UK, our experienced personal injury solicitors are able to manage your claim and we will always set up a medical assessment at a medical centre near your home.

Have I got a compensation claim?

If you were injured in the last three years and someone else was to blame, our panel of award-winning solicitors can help you make a claim.

Check my claim online

How much compensation can I claim for an injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in general damages and special damages.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

See a list of what you can claim for:

Examples of special damages include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

Find out what your claim could be worth now

Assessing a claim's value at the outset can be complicated.

If you would like a FREE claim estimate with no obligation to start a claim, call 0800 612 7456.

Alternatively, our compensation calculator will give you an instant estimate of what your claim is worth.

Calculate my injury claim

Elligibility to make a personal injury claim

Claims should be made within three years of an injury in the majority of cases.

For most claims, making a successful claim has three key components. It needs to be proven that a duty of care was owed, that this duty was breached, and the breach was the cause of the injury or illness.

Getting your claim started sooner should enable the solicitor to gather evidence and witness statements.

How much can I claim?

The amount of compensation you will receive will depend on a number of points. Our online calculator gives an accurate estimate of the compensation you could get for your injuries.

Calculate my injury claim

Road traffic accident claims in Enfield

Cars involved in a road accident

Quittance's panel of skilled legal advisors have a wealth of experience in obtaining maximum settlements for people injured in a road accident in Enfield.

Road accidents involving cars, motorbikes and all other vehicles in Enfield are quite common. Official statistics show 8 fatal accidents, 64 serious accidents and 940 slight accidents in 2013 in Enfield (Total events were 1012 local authority. By 2014 the total had decreased to 1,003. Accidents in the Enfield region in 2013 included road traffic collisions on the single carriageway of the A110 and A10 crossroads and on the one way street of the A110 and A105 crossroads.

Find out more: Road traffic accident claims

Work accident claims in Enfield

Worker injured in accident

We have helped people, from scaffolding erectors to facilities managers, to claim maximum compensation for their injuries. Work accident data for the Enfield local authority reported under RIDDOR legislation by the Government in the table below:

RIDAGGR reported work accidents in Enfield Local Authority2011/122012/132013/14
Machinery related injury1259
Explosion related100
Fire related (e.g. scars)001
Harmful substance exposure (e.g. industrial and air pollution)635
Fall from height (ladder)271628
Animal related (e.g. dog bites)400
Manual handling1226169
Physical assault573938
Slip or trip11610488
Struck against18107
Struck by moving vehicle81513
Struck by object573537
Trapped underneath something410

Find out more: Accident at work claims

Other types of claim

Enfield serious injury compensation

The Courts understand that serious injuries will have a life-altering impact on an injured claimant and their family.

By reducing the financial pressure a major injury places on an injured person and their dependants, injury compensation enables claimants to prioritise recovery and rehabilitation.

Find out more: Catastrophic injury claims

Slips and trips

Recorded data underline the fact that employee slips, trips and falls are the single most prevalent cause of accidents leading to injury at work in North London. These types of accident are frequently connected to accidents recorded in another category for instance being hit by a moving object or a toxic substance accident. Public liability compensation claims for injuries like sprained wrists occurring on potholes are also common with pavement trips having happened on Gordon Hill and on Church Street.

Medical and clinical negligence in Enfield

Medical negligence (clinical negligence) is the term used when a patient is injured or becomes ill due to a doctor, nurse or other health worker's lack of care. If you have been affected by medical negligence, Quittance's panel of expert clinical negligence solicitors can help you make a claim against the hospital or clinic responsible for the injury.

If you are just looking for a detailed explanation of what happened rather than a compensation award, you can raise a formal complaint. For example, you can write to Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, 350 Euston Road, Regent's Place, London, to go through the NHS complaints procedure against Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust.

Find out more: Clinical negligence claim

Industrial disease

Personal injury solicitors can help claimants with claiming work related compensation for industrial illnesses ranging from chemical poisoning to emphysema.

Find out more: Industrial disease claims

Enfield No Win, No Fee Solicitors

If you are worried about the cost of making a claim, choosing a 'no win, no fee' solicitor means that no legal fees will be due if your claim is not successful. Our solicitors work on a guaranteed no win, no fee basis in Enfield and throughout the UK.

See: No win, no fee personal injury claims.

Meet the team

Our national network of solicitors carry out the legal work for all types of claim in Enfield, including fast track, complex and catastrophic injury claims. Selected for their track record in winning claims, our lawyers have years of dedicated experience recovering compensation for their clients.

Meet more of the QLS team: click here.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Rakhi Chauhan Road Accident Panel Solicitor
Tim Fieldhouse Industrial Disease Panel Solicitor

What is your track record of claims in Enfield?

Quittance Legal Services (QLS) is a national network of expert personal injury solicitors that helps injured people in Enfield, London and throughout the UK, obtain financial compensation for their injuries.

We have helped hundreds of claimants across London seek compensation for a range of accidents and injuries, including accidents on public transport and slips and trips at work.

With a 90% success rate, we offer a service that is as stress-free as possible. Local medical appointments, home appointments (if necessary) and experienced claims specialists, enables you to focus on your recovery.

Frequently asked questions

Does Quittance offer 100% No Win, No Fee

If your claim is not successful, our No Win, No Fee policy covers 100% of your legal fees. This means that there is no financial risk in making a claim.

Help for potential claimants searching for a solicitor

In most cases a claim for compensation can take months to agree a settlement and for the most serious claims, claims may run for one or two years. The SRA regulate the legal advice given by solicitors, however they do not regulate many issues that matter to claimants, such as communication or speed.

Your lawyer should be someone you are able to rely on at every step of the process to provide expert legal guidance and compassionate practical advice.

Do you need to select a local legal firm ?

The location of the solicitor is not relevant as injury cases now tend to be handled without the need to meet the solicitor.

However, you should instruct a law firm with medical facilities near you as you will almost always be expected to attend a medical assessment.

Further reading : Do Quittance offer medical home visits?

Reviews for solicitors in Enfield

Solicitors have a wide range of approaches to handling cases and clients, from formal and traditional to sympathetic. Personal injury solicitor reviews are a useful when contrasting the quality of service taken by individual firms.

The contrast in fees between different firms working on Conditional Fee Agreements (CFA) often surprises claimants.

To illustrate the point, the amount of financial compensation retained by a claimant being awarded compensation of ?78,279 for a severe foot injury could vary from ?46,967 to ?66,537.

Additional reading Get a quote

Case studies

Serious Injury Solicitor

Rakhi Chauhan secures £80,000 following a road collision with a lorry

The victim was forced off the road when a lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Read more
Serious Injury Solicitor

Kevin Walker obtains £80,000 for a construction worker's catastrophic hand injury

The worker also recieved trauma-specialist physiotherapy, welfare advice and state-of-the-art prostheses.

Read more
Paul Carvis, Personal injury solicitor

About the author

Paul is a member of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel, a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, and has served as a Deputy District Judge, giving him a uniquely broad understanding of the claims process.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert