What can I claim for in an injury claim? Complete list…

If you have been injured or made ill as a result of someone else's actions or negligence, you are entitled to claim financial compensation. But what exactly can you claim for?

Share this article
Injured man

General Damages

General damages is the legal term for compensation awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA). The amount of compensation you will receive will depend on the seriousness of your injury, and the specific impact that your injury has had on your life.

General damages are calculated by solicitors and the courts with reference to a set of tables published by the Judicial College. These tables are known as the Guidelines for the Assessment of General Damages in Personal Injury.

Special Damages

Special damages are awarded for any other costs or losses you incur as a result of your injury. Examples of special damages include:

Loss of earnings

If you have had to take time off work as a result of your injuries then you are entitled to seek compensation for loss of earnings, overtime, loss of commission and loss of pension contributions. You may also be able to claim compensation of your career or promotion prospects are impacted.

If you will be unable to work for a period after the claim is settled, it may be possible to claim for future loss of earnings. This can ensure that you are financially covered until you return to work - or if you are unable to do so.

Calculating loss of earnings can be more complicated if you are self-employed or on a zero-hours contract.

Read more:

Can I make an injury claim if I am self-employed?

Claiming compensation for lost earnings

Family or friend's loss of earnings

If a family member or friend has had to take time off work to support or care for you, a claim can be made for their loss of earnings. Any costs incurred by the family member or friend in supporting you can also be claimed for.

Carer and helper costs

If you have needed help from a carer or nurse you can claim for their costs. Any equipment provided by the carer, where there is a cost implication, can also be claimed for.

Medical treatment and prescription costs

If you have incurred any medical treatment costs, such as physiotherapy or chiropractic treatments, these can be included with your claim. Prescription costs can also be claimed for.

Car and home modification costs

If your house or car needs to be adapted following your injury, the cost of the special equipment and modifications can be claimed for.


The costs of travelling to and from appointments and medical treatments should all be recorded (keep receipts) as these can be included in your claim.

Damage to personal property

Any damage to personal effects such as spectacles, clothing, bicycles, computers and phones can be claimed for if damaged as a result of the accident.

Damage to cars, motorbikes and pedal bikes can also be included.

Other costs

The above list is not exhaustive. Special damages have been successfully sought for any number of other things where financial loss (or loss that can be quantified financially) can be established.

Examples include:

  • Loss of enjoyment on holiday - e.g. you break a leg before a skiing holiday
  • Loss of enjoyable employment - if our injury means you can no longer do a job you enjoy and have to accept a job which you don't enjoy, a financial case for 'loss of enjoyment' can possibly be made.
  • Increased utility bills resulting from being housebound

Calculate my injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for an injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your injury claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

How can Quittance help?

Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, and the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning injury claims.

If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, we are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back
  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim
Share this article
Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher

Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher