Have you been injured in an accident that wasn't your fault?

If either you or a member of your family have been hurt in an accident, we can help you make a compensation claim.

What sort of injuries can I claim for?

We have helped hundreds of people in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear and across the UK get compensation for:

Do I have a personal injury claim?

It should be possible to make a compensation claim if you were injured or made ill:

  • within the last three years, and;
  • another person was at least partly to blame, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. There are quite a few other factors that can affect whether a successful no win, no fee claim will be possible, such as the circumstances of your accident or the quantum of the claim.

Why not speak to a legally trained expert now on 0800 376 1001 to find out if you have a claim. You can also find out if you have a claim with our Claim Checker:

Check my claim

How much compensation can I claim for an injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after an injury? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

Calculate my injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for an injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your injury claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

Road accident claims in Newcastle Upon Tyne

If you were injured in an accident on Newcastle Upon Tyne's roads due to a negligent driver, you have a right to start a claim for compensation.

No matter if you sustained an injury in a hit-and-run on Newcastle Upon Tyne's roads, or were hurt in a car collision, the Quittance guide explains how to make a road accident compensation claim.

Road accident claims

Work accident claims in Newcastle upon Tyne

If you?ve suffered an injury following an accident at work, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries and any losses or expenses.

Whatever your job - whether you are a builder injured on a building site or you had a fall in a warehouse, our work accident claim guide explains your legal rights and how you can make a successful work accident claim.

Work accident claims

Other types of claim

Public place accidents

Officially reported figures underline the fact that employee slips, trips and falls are by some margin the most frequent accident at work in Tyne And Wear and the UK. Slips and trips are sometimes lead to injuries incorrectly attributed to other causes e.g. being hit by tools in use or a river drowning accident. Public place (Newcastle upon Tyne local authority) negligence claims injuries like strained muscles experienced on poorly maintained roads are also common with pavement trips having occurred on Westgate Rd.

Public place accident claims

Clinical negligence

When someone is injured as the result of the lack of care of a doctor, nurse or other medical professional, it may be possible to make a medical negligence claim. If you have been affected by clinical negligence, we can help you make a claim against the NHS hospital or private clinic that was responsible.

If you only want answers rather than injury compensation, you could use the NHS Resolution process. To follow the formal NHS complaints process against North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, for example, you can contact Bernicia House, Goldcrest Way, Newburn Riverside, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Further information: Clinical negligence compensation

Medical negligence claims

More injury claim types

Quittance's team understand the change an injury claim makes to people whose lives have been impacted by serious injury. A successful claim will lessen the financial burden and reduce the pressure on an injured claimant and their dependants so they can focus on recovery and rehabilitation.

Our network of expert solicitor firms have aided families collect compensation for many major injuries and conditions. Injuries and illnesses categorised as catastrophic or serious include benzene poisoning and cerebral palsy.

Further information: Catastrophic injury compensation

Other types of claim

Newcastle upon Tyne No win, no fee Solicitors

A No Win, No Fee agreement protects injured claimants by ensuring that they will not need to pay any legal fees if their claim is unsuccessful. This agreement is also called a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA.

Under a CFA, Newcastle upon Tyne injury claimants will also not have to pay any fees upfront.

The Quittance No Win, No Fee guarantee

Our No Win, No Fee solicitors have helped injured people in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear and throughout the UK make a claim without any financial risk to you.

What do I pay if I win my injury claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee when they settle your injury claim. This fee is deducted from your final compensation.

By law, a solicitor's success fee can be up to a maximum of 25%, whichever law firm you choose.

You can discuss the success fee percentage with your injury lawyer, before the claim process starts.

What do I pay if I do not win my injury claim?

You will not have to pay any legal fees if your solicitor does not win your injury claim. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

Experience matters

Specialist solicitors with an excellent track record of securing injury compensation for claimants.

Your lawyer will work hard to ensure you receive a compensation settlement that accurately reflects the pain, suffering and losses you have incurred as the result of your injury.

If would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, or have any questions at all, speak to us.

We are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back

  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Frequently asked questions

What is your track record of injury claims in Newcastle upon Tyne?

Quittance Legal Services (QLS) is a nationwide network of results-focussed personal injury lawyers that assists injured people in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear and across the country, get the best possible compensation settlement.

Our expert solicitors have helped hundreds of claimants in Tyne and Wear get compensation for a range of accidents and injuries, including accidents due to poor road conditions and accidents on building sites.

With a success rate of over 90%, we offer a service that is as clear and straightforward as possible. Local medical centres, home visits (where necessary) and an expert team at the end of the phone, enables you to focus on your recovery.

Does Quittance offer 100% No Win, No Fee

If your claim is not successful, our No Win, No Fee policy covers 100% of your legal fees. Your solicitor fights your case for you, and only gets paid a success fee if they win your case.

Do you have to choose a lawyer in Newcastle upon Tyne?

As with many professional services, you do not need to instruct a lawyer near you.

For the majority of claims, the only aspect that does require a local service is the medical exam. This exam provides necessary medical evidence to support your claim, and is carried out in partnership with a member of our national network of medical professionals.

Your lawyer will arrange for a medical practitioner in your area to conduct your medical.

Newcastle Upon Tyne personal injury solicitor reviews

Service standards provided by lawyers, as with any professional service, can vary enormously.

Reviews can be enlightening when deciding which lawyer to act for you.

Read Personal injury lawyer reviews

What are the road accident statistics in Newcastle upon Tyne

Quittance's panel of road traffic accident (RTA) personal injury solicitors have decades of experience in achieving the highest general and special damages for people hurt in a car accident in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Road traffic accidents involving cars, motorbikes and other vehicles in Newcastle Upon Tyne are relatively frequent. Statistics from accidents reported to the police show a total of 859 accidents (782 slight accidents, 77 serious accidents and fatal accidents) in 2013 in Newcastle upon Tyne local authority area. In 2014 total accidents had increased to 918. Incidents in the Newcastle Upon Tyne area in 2013 included car crashes on the unknown of the A167 and A184 junction and on the dual carriageway of the A186 and A189 crossroads.

Work accident statistics in Newcastle Upon Tyne

The latest 2019 accident at work statistics for the Newcastle upon Tyne Local Authority (2013/14) are compiled in accordance with RIDDOR legislation by the Government as follows:

Work accidents in Newcastle upon Tyne Local Authority (RIDAGGR)Reported Injuries
Not Reported68
Electric shock2
Machinery related10
Exposed to fire0
Harmful substance exposure (e.g. chromium)2
Fall from height33
Animal related (e.g. livestock)3
Lifting and carrying97
Physical assault28
Slip or trip106
Struck against17
Hit by vehicle8
Struck by object48
Crushed by something collapsing0

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more about claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I was partly responsible for an accident?

You may still be able to claim compensation even if you contributed to your accident or to your injuries.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more about claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long will my claim take?

The length of time needed to secure compensation can vary considerably.

For example, straightforward car accident claims can settle in a matter of weeks, whereas complex medical negligence cases can take years.

Injury claims can also take longer if it is not clear who is responsible for your injury, or if liability is denied by the defendant.

Taken from average case times, this table sets out approximately how long personal injury claims take to settle:

Personal injury claim type

Estimated claim duration*

Road accident claims

4 to 9 months

Work accident claims

6 to 9 months

Medical negligence claims

12 to 36 months

Industrial disease claims

12 to 18 months

Public place or occupiers’ liability claims

6 to 9 months

MIB claims (uninsured drivers)

3 to 4 months**

CICA claims (criminal assault)

12 to 18 months**

*RTA and other claims processed through the Ministry of Justice portal can settle faster.
**Official Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)  Government agency and Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) figures.

Read more about how long personal injury claims take.

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. The vast majority of claims that are settled by the solicitor panel are settled out of court.

Only a very small percentage (approx. 5%) of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are held in front of a judge, not a jury.

Read more: Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

Will I have to go to a solicitor's office?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. As with most professional services, it is no longer necessary to meet face to face with your solicitor. Personal injury claims are dealt with via email, post and telephone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more: Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

Can I get an early compensation payment?

If you suffer financial hardship as a result of an injury, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is a partial settlement of your claim which is paid before your claim is concluded. The amount you receive in interim payments would then be deducted from your final compensation settlement or award.

Read more about interim compensation payments.

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor