Have you been injured in an accident that was not your fault?

If either you or a member of your family have been hurt in an accident, we can help you make a compensation claim.

How can we help

Every year, we help injured people in Chelmsford, Essex and throughout the UK claim compensation for:

Do I have a claim?

You should be able to claim financial compensation for your injury if the accident (or 'date of knowledge') happened:

  • within the last three years, and;
  • another person was to blame, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. In reality, several other factors can affect whether a successful claim will be possible, such as the accident circumstances, when the date of knowledge was or whether your chosen solicitor believes your claim has a prospect of success.

It costs nothing to find out if you are entitled to compensation. Speak to a legal expert now on 0800 376 1001. You can also find out if you have a claim with our Online Claim Checker:

Check my claim

How much compensation can I claim for an injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after an injury? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

Calculate my injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for an injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your injury claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

Chelmsford road accident claims

If you were hurt on Chelmsford's roads as the result of a negligent road user, you should be able to make a claim for compensation.

Whether you were hurt in a collision on a roundabout, or were injured in a motorcycle accident on Chelmsford's roads, we can help. This useful guide sets out what you need to do to make a road accident claim.

Road accident claims

Work accident claims in Chelmsford

You may be able to make an accident at work claim if you?ve been injured as a result of your employer's negligence.

Whatever your job, whether you slipped a disc or have been exposed to asbestos, our work injury claim guide explains what you need to know about making a successful work accident claim.

Work accident claims

Other types of claim

Public place accidents

Health and Saftey Executive statistics expose the fact that employee slips and trips are the most common cause of injury at work in Essex and the UK as a whole. These types of accident are often the cause of injuries categorised as something else e.g. being hit by an object falling from a vehicle or an animal related accident. Public place litigation for injuries like bruised legs happening on raised flagstones are also quite common with slips and trips having happened on High Street.

Public place accident claims

Medical negligence

Clinical (or medical) negligence is the term used when a patient suffers injury or illness as the result of the lack of care of a doctor or other medical professional. If you have been injured by clinical negligence, we can help you make a claim against the trust or private hospital liable for your injury.

Alternatively, you could make a formal complaint if you only want an explanation as to what went wrong instead of injury compensation. To follow the formal NHS complaints process against Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust, for example, you can contact Broomfield Hospital, Court Road, Chelmsford, Essex.

For more information: Clinical negligence claim

Medical negligence claims

More claim types

We understand the vital difference a compensation claim can make to seriously injured claimants.

Compensation should lessen the financial burden on an injured claimant and their dependants so they can prioritise recovery and rehabilitation.

For more information: Catastrophic injury claims

Other types of claim

Chelmsford No win, no fee Solicitors

A No Win, No Fee agreement protects injured claimants by ensuring that they will not need to pay any legal fees if their claim is unsuccessful. This agreement is also called a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA.

Under a CFA, Chelmsford injury claimants will also not have to pay any fees upfront.

The Quittance No Win, No Fee guarantee

Our No Win, No Fee solicitors have helped injured people in Chelmsford, Essex and throughout the UK make a claim without any financial risk to you.

What do I pay if I win my injury claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee when they settle your injury claim. This fee is deducted from your final compensation.

By law, a solicitor's success fee can be up to a maximum of 25%, whichever law firm you choose.

You can discuss the success fee percentage with your injury lawyer, before the claim process starts.

What do I pay if I do not win my injury claim?

You will not have to pay any legal fees if your solicitor does not win your injury claim. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

Advice and help

Specialist solicitors with an excellent track record of securing injury compensation for claimants.

Your lawyer will work hard to ensure you receive a compensation settlement that accurately reflects the pain, suffering and losses you have incurred as the result of your injury.

If would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, or have any questions at all, speak to us.

We are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back

  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Frequently asked questions

How much experience do you have of injury claims in Chelmsford?

Quittance Legal Services is a UK-wide network of expert solicitors dedicated to helping people injured in Chelmsford, Essex and across the UK, obtain financial compensation for their injuries.

Last year, we have assisted hundreds of claimants in Essex seek compensation for a range of injury circumstances, from car accidents to ladder accidents.

Local medical centres, home appointments (if required) and specialist advice, mean that making an injury claim is as easy and stress-free as possible.

Does Quittance offer 100% No Win, No Fee

If your claim is not successful, our No Win, No Fee policy covers 100% of your legal fees. Your solicitor fights your case for you, and only gets paid a success fee if they win your case.

Chelmsford solicitor reviews

The levels of service provided by injury lawyers can vary a great deal.

Researching reviews can be enlightening when trying to decide which solicitor to go with.

See : Personal injury lawyer reviews

Do you need to select a local Chelmsford lawyer?

The whereabouts of the firm are less important as injury cases are normally handled by phone, post and email.

However, you should choose a solicitors' firm that offers a national network as claimants will almost always have to attend an independent medical examination.

The difference in the level of success fees between law firms is an important consideration for claimants.

For example the amount of financial compensation retained by a successful claimant agreeing on a settlement of £15,656 for displaced metatarsal fractures could vary from £9,393 to £13,307.

More information Compare solicitors

What are the road accident statistics in Chelmsford

Quittance's group of knowledgeable no win, no fee legal advisors are experienced in getting maximum compensation for people who have sustained an injury in a road accident in Chelmsford.

Road accidents involving vehicles in Chelmsford are relatively common. Police reporters reveal that there were 34 fatal accidents, 538 serious accidents and 3428 slight accidents in 2013 in Essex (Total events were 4000 local authority district. By 2014 accidents increased to 4,352. Incidents in the Chelmsford area in 2013 included crashes on the dual carriageway of the A1099 and A1060 roundabout and on the A1114 and B1007 roundabout.

Chelmsford work accident statistics

The latest 2019 injury and illness figures in the Chelmsford Local Authority (2013/14) reported in accordance with RIDDOR legislation by the Government:

Workplace accidents in Chelmsford Local Authority (HSE)Reported Injuries
Not specified25
Machinery related10
Exposure to toxic substance0
Fall from height (ladder)8
Animal related (e.g. livestock)1
Physical assault11
Slip, trip, fall same level60
Struck against9
Hit by vehicle8
Struck by object32
Crushed by something collapsing3

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more about claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I was partly responsible for an accident?

You may still be able to claim compensation even if you contributed to your accident or to your injuries.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more about claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long will my claim take?

The length of time needed to secure compensation can vary considerably.

For example, straightforward car accident claims can settle in a matter of weeks, whereas complex medical negligence cases can take years.

Injury claims can also take longer if it is not clear who is responsible for your injury, or if liability is denied by the defendant.

Taken from average case times, this table sets out approximately how long personal injury claims take to settle:

Personal injury claim type

Estimated claim duration*

Road accident claims

4 to 9 months

Work accident claims

6 to 9 months

Medical negligence claims

12 to 36 months

Industrial disease claims

12 to 18 months

Public place or occupiers’ liability claims

6 to 9 months

MIB claims (uninsured drivers)

3 to 4 months**

CICA claims (criminal assault)

12 to 18 months**

*RTA and other claims processed through the Ministry of Justice portal can settle faster.
**Official Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)  Government agency and Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) figures.

Read more about how long personal injury claims take.

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. The vast majority of claims that are settled by the solicitor panel are settled out of court.

Only a very small percentage (approx. 5%) of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are held in front of a judge, not a jury.

Read more: Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

Will I have to go to a solicitor's office?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. As with most professional services, it is no longer necessary to meet face to face with your solicitor. Personal injury claims are dealt with via email, post and telephone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more: Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

Can I get an early compensation payment?

If you suffer financial hardship as a result of an injury, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is a partial settlement of your claim which is paid before your claim is concluded. The amount you receive in interim payments would then be deducted from your final compensation settlement or award.

Read more about interim compensation payments.

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor