Were you injured in an accident that wasn't your fault?

If you were injured or became sick due to someone else's actions, you may be able to claim compensation.

How can we help

Every year, we help injured claimants in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear and throughout the UK get compensation for:

Do I qualify for personal injury compensation?

You should be able to claim financial compensation for your injury if the accident (or 'date of knowledge') happened:

  • within the last three years, and;
  • another person was at least partly to blame, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.

Are there any other considerations?

Yes. In practice, there are several factors that can have a bearing on whether a successful no win, no fee claim will be possible, such as the context of your injury or whether a child was injured.

If you would like to find out if you have a claim, speak to us now on 0800 376 1001. If you prefer, you can check your claim online with our Instant Claim Checker:

Check my claim

How much compensation can I claim for an injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after an injury? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

Calculate my injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for an injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your injury claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

Road accident claims in Sunderland

Drivers are entitled to start a claim for compensation if they are hurt on Sunderland's roads due to another party's actions.

Regardless of whether you were hurt in a car collision, or sustained an injury in a motorbike accident, we are here to help. The Quittance useful guide sets out what you need to do to claim road accident compensation.

Road accident claims

Work accident claims in Sunderland

If you have been injured because of your employer's negligence, you should be legally entitled to make a claim.

However your injury occurred, whether you suffered a sprain or inhaled toxic fumes, our guide to work accident claims explains your rights and to make a successful no win no fee claim.

Work accident claims

Other types of claim

Public place accidents

Health and Saftey Executive (HSE) statistics indicate that slips and trips are still the most frequent cause of accidents leading to injury in the Tyne And Wear workplace in 2014/15. These types of accident are sometimes the cause of injuries categorised as another type of accident like being hit by hand tools in use or a drowning accident. Public liability litigation for injuries such as fractured vertebrae occurring on potholes are also quite common with recent pothole trips having occurred in the local area.

Public place accident claims

Medical negligence

Clinical negligence (medical negligence) describes when someone suffers injury or illness as the result of the lack of care of a GP, nurse or other medical professional. Quittance's expert panel of injury lawyers can help you make a claim against the hospital or clinic responsible for the injury.

Alternatively, you could follow the NHS complaints procedure if you are just looking for an explanation as to what went wrong instead of starting an injury claim. To follow the formal NHS complaints process against City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust, for example, you can contact Sunderland Royal Hospital, Kayll Road, Sunderland.

Read more about Clinical negligence claim

Medical negligence claims

More injury claim types

The long-term effect a serious or catastrophic injury can have is understood by Courts when they are working out injury compensation.

A claim should ease the financial load and take the pressure off an injured person enabling them to prioritise rehabilitation.

The panel of specialist solicitors have helped people collect compensation for many major injuries and conditions. Injury and illness referred to as serious include cerebral palsy and lead poisoning.

Read more about Catastrophic injury claims

Other types of claim

Sunderland No win, no fee Solicitors

A No Win, No Fee agreement protects injured claimants by ensuring that they will not need to pay any legal fees if their claim is unsuccessful. This agreement is also called a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA.

Under a CFA, Sunderland injury claimants will also not have to pay any fees upfront.

The Quittance No Win, No Fee guarantee

Our No Win, No Fee solicitors have helped injured people in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear and throughout the UK make a claim without any financial risk to you.

What do I pay if I win my injury claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee when they settle your injury claim. This fee is deducted from your final compensation.

By law, a solicitor's success fee can be up to a maximum of 25%, whichever law firm you choose.

You can discuss the success fee percentage with your injury lawyer, before the claim process starts.

What do I pay if I do not win my injury claim?

You will not have to pay any legal fees if your solicitor does not win your injury claim. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

Speak to an expert

Specialist solicitors with an excellent track record of securing injury compensation for claimants.

Your lawyer will work hard to ensure you receive a compensation settlement that accurately reflects the pain, suffering and losses you have incurred as the result of your injury.

If would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, or have any questions at all, speak to us.

We are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back

  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Frequently asked questions

Have the solicitors won many injury claims in Sunderland?

Quittance Legal Services (QLS) is a UK-wide network of expert personal injury lawyers that assists people injured in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear and across the UK, get compensated for their injuries.

We have helped 100's of injured claimants across Tyne and Wear get compensation for a range of injury circumstances, from factory accidents to motorbike accidents.

With a success rate of over 90%, we make the claim process as clear and straightforward as possible. Local medical appointments, home appointments (if necessary) and specialist advice, frees you to focus on your recovery and recuperation.

Does Quittance offer 100% No Win, No Fee

If your claim is not successful, our No Win, No Fee policy covers 100% of your legal fees. Your solicitor fights your case for you, and only gets paid a success fee if they win your case.

Sunderland personal injury solicitor reviews

Service standards offered by solicitors, as with any service, can differ considerably.

Researching online reviews can be helpful if you are deciding which solicitor to work with.

Read more - Personal injury solicitor reviews

Will I need to select a local injury lawyer?

The location of a firm is not particularly important as injury cases are normally run by phone, post and email.

It is however necessary to instruct a firm that has national medical coverage as claimants will usually be expected to attend a medical exam.

More on - Do Quittance have a local medical centre?

What are the road accident statistics in Sunderland

Road traffic accidents involving cars, motorbikes and other vehicles in Sunderland are relatively frequent. Gov.uk statistics show a total of 793 accidents (723 slight accidents, 67 serious accidents and 3 fatal accidents) in 2013 in Sunderland local authority area. In 2014 accidents decreased to 793. Incidents in the Sunderland area in 2013 included traffic collisions on the A183 and A1231 roundabout and on the A690 and A1231 slip road.

The panel of accredited lawyers have vast experience in achieving optimum settlements for people who have been injured in a car or motorcycle crash in Sunderland.

What are the Sunderland work accident statistics?

The latest 2019 injury and illness information in the Sunderland Local Authority (2013/14) are compiled under RIDDOR legislation by the Government excerpted below:

HSE reported work accidents in Sunderland Local AuthorityReported Injuries
Electrical injury2
Machinery related injury23
Exposed to explosion0
Fire related (e.g. burns)0
Harmful substance exposure (e.g. food poisoning)1
Fall from height39
Animal related (e.g. livestock)1
Lifting and handling injuries108
Physical assault27
Slip or trip104
Struck against23
Struck by moving vehicle6
Struck by object58
Crushed by something collapsing0

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more about claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I was partly responsible for an accident?

You may still be able to claim compensation even if you contributed to your accident or to your injuries.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more about claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long will my claim take?

The length of time needed to secure compensation can vary considerably.

For example, straightforward car accident claims can settle in a matter of weeks, whereas complex medical negligence cases can take years.

Injury claims can also take longer if it is not clear who is responsible for your injury, or if liability is denied by the defendant.

Taken from average case times, this table sets out approximately how long personal injury claims take to settle:

Personal injury claim type

Estimated claim duration*

Road accident claims

4 to 9 months

Work accident claims

6 to 9 months

Medical negligence claims

12 to 36 months

Industrial disease claims

12 to 18 months

Public place or occupiers’ liability claims

6 to 9 months

MIB claims (uninsured drivers)

3 to 4 months**

CICA claims (criminal assault)

12 to 18 months**

*RTA and other claims processed through the Ministry of Justice portal can settle faster.
**Official Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)  Government agency and Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) figures.

Read more about how long personal injury claims take.

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. The vast majority of claims that are settled by the solicitor panel are settled out of court.

Only a very small percentage (approx. 5%) of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are held in front of a judge, not a jury.

Read more: Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

Will I have to go to a solicitor's office?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. As with most professional services, it is no longer necessary to meet face to face with your solicitor. Personal injury claims are dealt with via email, post and telephone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more: Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

Can I get an early compensation payment?

If you suffer financial hardship as a result of an injury, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is a partial settlement of your claim which is paid before your claim is concluded. The amount you receive in interim payments would then be deducted from your final compensation settlement or award.

Read more about interim compensation payments.

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor