A guide to making a personal injury claim

By Paul Carvis

Whether you live in Ellesmere Port or anywhere else in the UK, our expert lawyers are able to take on your claim and we will set up a medical report at a centre near you .

Do I have a claim?

If you suffered an injury in the last three years and someone else was at fault, we can help you make a compensation claim.

How much can I claim?

The injury compensation you are likely to receive is based on the seriousness of your injuries. Our calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.

Making a claim

Claims for compensation should usually be made within a 3-year window, starting from the date the injury occurred.

In order to successfully win an injury claim, your lawyer must demonstrate:

  • You were owed a duty of care by the Defendant
  • That duty was breached by the Defendant
  • The Defendant's breach caused your injury or illness

Your solicitor should look at how these issues will relate to your case.

Choosing the right solicitor

Instructing a suitable solicitor for your legal case is the most important step towards successfully claiming the most compensation for your accident.

How do you make sure you instruct the best company to work with?

Reviews for injury lawyers in Ellesmere Port

Discussing you claim with a solicitor is useful if you have any questions about their approach. Personal injury solicitor reviews are a great resource to compare the approach and service levels offered by different firms.

Do you need to instruct a local Ellesmere Port solicitor ?

Going for a local firm is not so critical as cases are, as a matter of course, run by phone, post and email.

It is however necessary to instruct a law firm that offers national medical centres as Claimants will almost always have to go to a medical examination.

More : Will I have to attend a medical?

The variation in the amount of success fees and insurance premiums between different lawyers working on Conditional Fee Agreements is an important consideration for Claimants.

E.g. the amount of financial compensation retained by an injured person being awarded compensation of £27,184 for severe shoulder injuries might vary from £16,310 to £23,106.

Additional reading : How much compensation can you claim?

Cases Quittance handles in Ellesmere Port

Quittance's network of expert solicitors have helped Claimants receive compensation for a range of injury and illness.

Ellesmere Port lawyers for serious injury claims

The lasting impact a serious or catastrophic injury can have is understood by Courts when they are working out a claim. A successful claim should ease the financial burden on an injured person and their family so they can prioritise recovery. Quittance's network of expert law firms work with medical experts, the Courts and insurance companies to ensure families impacted by serious accidents get legal and medical support. Injuries and medical conditions which are held to be catastrophic or serious include serious psychiatric harm, spinal cord damage and poisoning.

Industrial disease

Personal injury lawyers can assist with claiming compensation for industrial illness that include anything from asbestosis to asthma caused by latex.

Road traffic claims

Quittance's panel of certified legal advisors have vast experience in obtaining maximum damages for people hurt in a car or motorbike accident in Ellesmere Port.

Road accidents involving cars, motorbikes and other vehicles in Ellesmere Port are not uncommon with a total of 1021 accidents (885 slight accidents, 128 serious accidents and 8 fatal accidents) in 2013 in Cheshire West and Chester local authority district. In 2014 accidents increased to 1,136. Incidents in the Ellesmere Port area in 2013 included collisions on the B5132 and B5463 roundabout and on the single carriageway of the A5032 and B5132 junction.

Accidents at work

We have handled claims for Claimants, from construction workers to employment advice workers, to claim compensation from their employer. Injury and illness data for the Ellesmere Port local authority reported under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) by the Health and Safety Executive in the table below:

RIDAGGR reported work accidents in Cheshire West and Chester Local Authority2011/122012/132013/14
Not specified716349
Machinery related injury241512
Explosion related001
Fire related (e.g. burns)402
Harmful substance exposure (e.g. toxic torts)1643
Fall from height464643
Animal related848
Manual handling1499896
Physical assault202410
Slip, trip, fall same level164142115
Struck against211513
Struck by moving vehicle211920
Struck by object594834
Trapped underneath something121

Slip and trip accidents

Health and Saftey Executive (HSE) statistics show that employee slips, trips and falls are, by some degree, the most frequent cause of accidents leading to injury in the Cheshire workplace. Slips, trips and falls are often forerunner to accidents filed under a different category for instance being hit by an object falling from a lifting machinery, a lifting injury or a toxic substance accident. Public place litigation for injuries such as strained muscles sustained on obstructed footpaths are also common with pavement trips having happened on Overpool Rd and on Milton Rd.

Clinical and medical negligence in Ellesmere Port

Clinical negligence, until recently referred to as medical negligence, is the term for when an injury or illness follows a breach of duty by a doctor, GP, surgeon or other healthcare professional. Our panel of injury lawyers acting for Ellesmere Port have worked on claims made against hospitals that include Ellesmere Port Hospital, 114 Chester Road, Whitby, Ellesmere Port, CH65 6SG.

Ellesmere Port No Win, No Fee Expert Solicitors

If your compensation claim is not successful, a No Win, No Fee agreement with the lawyer states that you will not have to pay the legal costs. If you win your compensation claim, the fees for your solicitor will be settled by the losing Defendant.

Will you need to pay any fees?

Some firms could charge extra fees should the case end prematurely. With Quittance's solicitors, No Win, No Fee is assured, with no catches in the small print.

Click here for more information about No Win, No Fee.

Next steps

Whether you are ready to start you claim now or are simply looking for more information, Quittance can help.

Find out more about the claims process

Making the right decision for you depends on receiving the correct information. Get your questions answered before you instruct a solicitor.

Get more information online without being required to call a solicitor. See more frequently asked questions.

Get your injury claim underway

You can start your personal injury claim online here or phone 0800 612 7456 (0333 344 6575 from mobiles) to speak to a personal injury lawyer.

Contact our panel of experts to discuss your potential claim. Request a no-obligation callback or phone 0800 612 7456.