Buildings insurance

When you buy and own a property, you will need buildings insurance to cover the cost of repairing damage to your home's physical structure.

A buildings insurance policy should cover damage to your property's roof, walls and floors. The policy should also cover damage to permanent fixtures, including radiators and bathroom sanitary ware.

Buildings insurance does not provide cover for damage to your home's contents, such as your TV, fridge or other possessions.

You will need separate contents insurance to protect against the loss or damage of your possessions. This is the case even if the contents are damaged in the same event that causes damage to your home, like a flood or fire.

Read more about why you need buildings insurance when you exchange contracts.

Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher

About the author

Gaynor Haliday is an experienced legal researcher and published author. She has had numerous articles published in the press and is a legal industry commentator.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert

Fixed-Fee Conveyancing All-inclusive Quote From £348

Get a quote

Ask a conveyancing expert

If you have any questions about getting a conveyancing quote or any aspect of the conveyancing process, let us know: