Can I claim injury compensation if my employer went bust?

Share this article

Claiming accident at work compensation from an employer is complicated enough, but what can you do if your ex employer is no longer in business?

An accident in the workplace can leave long lasting mental and physical scars. The accident may have left you temporarily or permanently unable to work, may have affected the way you work or could leave you with psychological trauma.

In order to make a work injury claim, you must first notify your employer who will in turn notify their insurer. The insurer will then begin to process the claim. This should be done as soon as possible.

Read about claiming for a work accident if the insurer has gone bust

If your employer has ceased trading you are still able to claim compensation for an injury that happened while you were working for them, however this may take considerably longer to process.

At the time of your accident, your employer should have had a form of worker compensation insurance in place. If an employer did not have this in place, they would have to produce the compensation from their own business thus leading to bankruptcy or inability to pay. To prevent this happening, all employers are required by UK law to have worker compensation insurance. This will pay for your compensation claim if you are successful.

If your employer has stopped trading, their insurance policy will still meet their liability even if the business is bankrupt or no longer active.

As part of your accident at work compensation, you are able to claim for

Special damages which include:

  • Loss of income
  • Travel expenses
  • Nursing expenses
  • Medical expenses
  • Loss of holiday
  • Care and assistance expense

General damages, these include:

  • Compensation for pain and suffering due to a trauma
  • Compensation for future financial losses

You may also able to claim interest on both special damages and general damages. The rate of interest will vary depending on the type of damage (special or general).

It is recommended that you contact a specialist UK work injury solicitor. Quittance's expert panel of solicitors are experienced in dealing with workplace injuries from falls to crush injuries to manual handling injuries.

How can Quittance help?

Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, and the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning work accident claims.

If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, we are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back
  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim
Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher

Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher