Claiming compensation with the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB)

A road accident is bad enough without finding out you have been hit by an uninsured driver. Luckily, help is at hand through the Motor Insurers Bureau.

Thousands of innocent motorists are injured each year in accidents involving uninsured drivers and those who fail to stop at the scene of an accident. If you find yourself this situation, don't delay in informing the police and your insurer. Both will both try and locate the negligent motorist and bring them to justice.

Your next port of call is the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB), a not-for-profit organisation that pays compensation to motorists when there is no one else to pay.

What is the Motor Insurers Bureau?

The MIB is the mechanism through which innocent motorists can seek compensation if they are involved in a collision with an illegal driver. It is funded entirely by motor insurers, and ultimately, by drivers who pay into the fund every time they take out or renew an insurance policy.

MIB is a fund of last resort, which means that you can make a claim only when:

  • The driver who caused your injuries was uninsured; or
  • After reasonable attempts to do so, the other driver cannot be found.

Filing and pursuing a claim

Before filing a claim, you must notify your own insurer of the accident and also the police if you are involved in a hit and run. It is also important that you pass as many details as possible to the police. This might include the car registration number, the type and colour of the vehicle and the direction a hit and run driver was travelling when he fled the scene. This will help the police trace the missing driver.

When it is established that the driver is uninsured or cannot be found, you can make a claim online via the MIB website.

Upon receipt of your completed claim form, MIB will investigate the claim including whether the other driver was at fault. The process runs like any other car accident insurance claim. The MIB will gather witnesses, medical reports and other evidence, and use the facts to establish the strength of your claim. It's a good idea to have a lawyer deal with this process.

What costs does the MIB cover?

The MIB can pay compensation for anything a motor insurance policy would normally cover, such as vehicle damage and the pain and suffering caused by your injuries. You can also claim for loss of earnings, medical and personal care costs and, if your injuries are particularly serious, the cost of adapting your home and car to meet your new needs, such as installing wheelchair ramps or a stair lift.

You can also claim for loss of a no-claims bonus or any excess charged by your own insurer in handling the claim.

Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher

Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher