How to claim Industrial Industries Disablement Benefit

Anyone who has sustained a disability as a result of injuries or diseases arising from work may be eligible to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

Proving eligibility, however, can be difficult, even if a successful injury claim has already been made.

To receive the benefit, workers must lodge a claim form with the DWP.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is a non-contributory, no-fault weekly benefit paid to workers and former workers who become disabled because of an accident at work or due to certain industrial diseases.

The full list of diseases can be found on the Government website.

Am I eligible to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit?

Any employed earner who suffers a work-related injury or contracts one of 70 prescribed industrial illness is eligible to claim IIDB. This includes:

  • Self-employed agency staff who are liable to pay Class 1 National Insurance contributions
  • Workers who were on an employment training scheme when the accident occurred.

Self-employed workers and those in service in HM Forces are not covered by the Industrial Injuries Scheme.

Where the claim relates to an accident at work, the accident must result in some loss of power or function of an organ of the body.

Back to top

Obtaining a claim form

Claim forms are available from the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) Centre. Forms may also be obtained from a personal injury solicitor.

It is important to select the correct claim form:

  • BI 100A to claim IIDB for accidents
  • BI 100PD to claim IIDB for a prescribed industrial disease.

The completed form, together any relevant medical evidence or a copy of the accident report, should be returned to the IIDB Centre.

Back to top

When to make a claim

A claim for IIDB relating to an industrial accident should be made two months after the accident.

This is because benefit is not available for the first 15 weeks after the accident and a medical examination will not take place until after this time. A claim for IIDB relating to an industrial disease may be made as soon as a diagnosis is received.

Do not delay in claiming as benefits may be lost. This is because IIDB can only be backdated for a maximum of three months before the date of the claim.

Back to top

What if I can't complete the form?

If a Claimant cannot act for themselves, the Secretary of State can appoint someone else, usually a family member, to act on their behalf. The person appointed is responsible for claiming and receiving all social security benefits.

Where a person eligible to claim IIDB has died, a claim can be made on their behalf by a surviving spouse or child.

Back to top

How the claim is determined

Upon receiving an application, the DWP will arrange for a medical examination to be carried out by an experienced doctor. The medical practitioner will give an opinion on:

  • Whether personal injury has been suffered as a result of the accident or industrial disease
  • The level of disablement
  • How long the disablement is expected to last.

Based on the medical report, the degree of disablement is assessed as a percentage up to 100%. For example, the loss of both hands has a degree of disablement of 100%. For the loss of one hand the degree of disablement is normally 60%, and for the loss of an index finger it is usually 14%.

The degree of disablement determines the amount of benefit that is awarded. For accident claims, IIDB is not paid unless the level of disablement is assessed at 14% or more. Specific rules apply to industrial diseases such as pneumoconiosis and mesothelioma.

For more information regarding Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or to make an industrial disease claim for compensation, call Quittance on 0800 612 7456 or request a callback for a more convenient time.

Ask an expert

If you have any questions, or would like to make a comment, let us know:

Be the first!