Can I claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit?
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is a government scheme that awards a weekly sum to an individual who has suffered a long-lasting illness or injury caused by work.
To be eligible for the scheme, a claimant has to fit the specific criteria the government provides.
Over 70 industrial related diseases are covered under the scheme. These include:
- Chronic Bronchitis or Emphysema
- Prescribed disease A11 (previously known as Vibration White Finger)
- Asbestos-related diseases
The full list of illnesses covered under the scheme can be found on the gov.uk website.
The compensation award is dependent on the severity of the injury or the illness. The level of 'disability' is assessed by a medical professional before the award amount is decided. The weekly amount ranges from £33.60 to £168.00.
Making a Claim
To make a claim, an eligible claimant must fill out and submit a BI100A form for accidents, or a BI100PD for diseases. These forms can be found on the gov.uk website.
Other Types of Claim
A claimant may be eligible to apply for Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA) if their disability is assessed at 100% and they require permanent care and attention. Again, the amount of compensation awarded is dependent on the extent of the disability.
An individual may be able to claim Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) if they are unable to do their usual job due to an injury or illness caused by work.
If an individual has an accident at work that is caused by an employer failing in their duty of care, then they may be able to make a personal injury claim.
A claimant may be able to make a personal injury claim if an employer:
- Fails to provide adequate training
- Provides inadequate or faulty safety equipment
- Does not address a hazard that leads to an accident
- Fails to ensure a work area is safe and secure
Legal advice should be sought in the first instance.
How can Quittance help?
Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, and the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning injury claims.
If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, we are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.
Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:
if you can claim
to start a claim
Questions about work accident claims?
Frequently asked questions:
- How will a personal injury claim affect my benefits?
- Will I have to pay tax on my injury compensation award?
- Can I claim for an injury if there's no accident book record?
- Can I claim injury compensation if my employer went bust?
- Can I claim injury compensation if there were no witnesses?
- Can I claim for an injury if partly to blame for an accident?
- Could a work injury claim stop me getting another job?
Get all the answers in our comprehensive FAQ section:See more FAQs