A guide to making a personal injury claim

By Howard Willis

Whether you live in Poole or anywhere in the UK, we can will manage your claim and we will arrange a medical at a medical centre near you.

Do I have a compensation claim?

If you suffered an injury or illness, or became aware of an injury, in the last three years and another party was liable, our panel of award-winning solicitors can help you make a claim for compensation.

Can I claim?Check claim

Eligibility to claim

Claims should usually be made within 3 years of the date you were injured or learned of your injury.

Whether compensation is being claimed for a work-related illness or road accident, there are three main elements to making a successful claim. It must be proven on the balance of probabilities that:

  • the person or company causing the injury owed you a duty of care
  • the duty of care was breached
  • this breach caused your illness or injury

Your solicitor can take you through each of these issues and will look at how they apply in your case.

Back to top

How much compensation can I claim?

The level of compensation you will be awarded depends on a number of factors. Our compensation calculator gives a good idea of the compensation you could get for your injuries, lost earnings and any other losses.

How much can I claim?Use our compensation calculator
Back to top

Work accident claims in Poole

Worker injured in accident

We have assisted claims for people, from building site contractors to press sub-editors, to claim maximum compensation for their injuries. Work injury information in the Poole local authority are detailed in accordance with RIDDOR legislation by the Health and Safety Executive:

Work accidents in Poole Local Authority (HSE)2011/122012/132013/14
Electric shock101
Machinery related injury995
Exposed to fire010
Harmful substance exposure (e.g. soil contamination)1032
Fall from height221720
Injured by an animal300
Lifting and handling injuries755962
Physical assault14147
Slip, trip or fall897172
Struck against10115
Struck by moving vehicle234
Struck by object302021
Trapped underneath something112

For more information: Injured at work claims

Back to top

Road traffic accident claims in Poole

Cars involved in a road accident

Accidents involving cars, motorbikes and other vehicles in Poole are relatively frequent. Gov.uk statistics show a total of 455 accidents (387 slight accidents, 65 serious accidents and 3 fatal accidents) in 2013 in Poole local authority area. By 2014 accidents increased to 507. Accidents in Poole in 2013 included crashes on the A350 and A349 roundabout and on the single carriageway of the B3068 and A35 crossroads.

Quittance's network of proficient no win, no fee solicitors have a wealth of experience in securing the highest damages for people injured in a road accident in Poole.

For more information: Road traffic accident claim

Back to top

Other claims we handle

Medical and clinical negligence in Poole

Medical negligence describes when someone suffers injury or illness as the result of a GP or other medical professional's lack of care. Our expert solicitor panel can help you make a claim against the NHS hospital or private clinic.

If you just want a detailed explanation of what happened instead of financial damages, you could make a formal complaint. For example, you can write to Sentinel House, 4 - 6 Nuffield Road, Nuffield Industrial Estate, Poole, Dorset, to make a formal complaint against Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust.

For more information: Clinical negligence compensation

Slip and trip accidents

Official data demonstrate that employee slips and trips are the single most common cause of injury at work in Dorset and the UK. They are quite often lead to accidents filed under a different category such as being hit by an object falling from a lifting machinery or an asphyxiation accident. Public place (Poole local authority) litigation for injuries like broken ankles occurring on poorly maintained roads are also quite prevalent with street falls having happened on Parkstone Road and on Bournemouth Rd.

Poole serious injury claims

The effect of a serious or catastrophic injury will be recognised by the Courts when calculating compensation.

By reducing the financial stress a serious injury puts on an injured claimant and their dependants, injury compensation allows people to concentrate on recovery and rehabilitation.

Our panel of solicitor firms have aided people recover compensation for many severe conditions and injuries. Injury and illness categorised as serious range from major surgical negligence to radiation exposure.

For more information: Catastrophic injury compensation

Industrial disease

Personal injury solicitors can help with claiming maximum compensation for industrial illness that range from chemical poisoning to rubber industry health and safety lapses.

For more information: Industrial disease compensation

Back to top

Poole No Win, No Fee Solicitors

You can confidently make a claim without any financial risk with Quittance's No Win, No Fee guarantee. Our national network of solicitors cover Poole and across the UK.

Read more: No win, no fee compensation.

Back to top

Meet the QLS team

Quittance's national network of solicitors help injured people with all types of claims in Poole, including fast track, complex and serious injury claims. Selected because of their track record in winning cases, Quittance's panel solicitors have years of dedicated experience handling claims on behalf of injured claimants.

Click here to meet more of the Quittance Legal Services team.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Rakhi Chauhan Road Accident Panel Solicitor
Tim Fieldhouse Industrial Disease Panel Solicitor
Back to top

What experience do you have of handling claims in Poole?

We are a UK-wide network of award winning personal injury lawyers that assists injured people in Poole, Dorset and throughout the UK, get compensated for their injuries.

In the last 12 months, we helped 100's of claimants in Dorset seek compensation for a range of accidents and injuries, from car accidents to building site accidents.

Medical centres in every town in the UK, home visits (if required) and expert advice, mean making a claim is as clear and straightforward as possible.

Back to top

Frequently asked questions

Are claims run on a 100% No Win, No Fee basis?

If your claim is not successful, 100% of the solicitor's fees are covered. You won't have to pay a penny to start a claim.

What to think about when choosing the best lawyer

Instructing the most appropriate law firm to help you is your most important step towards receiving the best compensation settlement for your illness or injuries.

With some over 100 offices within 25 miles of Poole (according the Solicitors Regulation Authority) - what is the best way to make sure you choose the ideal solicitors' practice to advise you?

Compensation is limited to costs you have had to bear as a result of the injury and by guidelines set out by the Judicial College. Your solicitor's experience can impact the level of damages negotiated. Find out more here.

Once a settlement has been agreed, solicitors working on a no win no fee basis will usually charge a success fee and ATE insurance premium. For example, deductions from a claimant's compensation for wrist injuries causing permanent pain and stiffness could vary between ?10,175 and ?19,800 (based on 2015 market research).

The key issue to be aware of is how much of your compensation will be taken to cover these fees.

Poole solicitor reviews

Service levels offered by solicitors, as with any professional service, can vary enormously.

Online personal injury solicitor reviews is a great place to start when deciding which lawyer to go with.

Read more Quittance reviews

Will I have to choose a lawyer near me?

You do not need to choose a personal injury solicitor near you.

The only element of a personal injury claim that usually needs a local service provider is the medical. This exam is carried out in partnership with a member of our national network of medical professionals.

Case studies

Serious Injury Solicitor

Rakhi Chauhan secures £80,000 following a road collision with a lorry

The victim was forced off the road when a lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Read more
Serious Injury Solicitor

Kevin Walker obtains £80,000 for a construction worker's catastrophic hand injury

The worker also recieved trauma-specialist physiotherapy, welfare advice and state-of-the-art prostheses.

Read more
Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

About the author

Howard qualified as a solicitor in 1984 and has specialised in personal injury for over 25 years. He is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and is a recognised Law Society Personal Injury Panel expert.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert