If you have sustained an injury as a result of an incident accident that was not fault, you may be entitled to financial compensation. To find out if you have a claim and how we help you keep more of your compensation, call us on 0800 612 7456.


Updated: Friday, 18th September 2015

A survey carried out by YouGov in 2014 revealed that 75% of people who were technically entitled to make a legitimate personal injury claim chose not to do so.

There are a number of reasons underpinning this statistic. See: Why people choose not to make a personal injury claim.

In our experience, the vast majority of people who engage the services of a personal injury solicitor do so for completely justifiable reasons.

Typically claimants have sustained an injury due to the recklessness or negligence of another and financial compensation is critical in aiding recovery and compensating financial loss.

What do personal injury solicitors do?

Personal injury law is based on the principle that compensation should be awarded in an attempt to return a person to the position they would have been in if the accident or illness had never occurred.

A personal injury solicitor can assist with all stages of a claim, from initial consultation and advice through to formal Court proceedings.

Personal injury solicitors will seek to obtain maximum compensation for:

  • pain, suffering and loss of amenity resulting from the injury
  • the cost any medical or other treatment required including future care
  • costs incurred, e.g. damage to personal property
  • loss of earnings
  • damage to property

Do you actually need personal injury solicitor to help you?

There are certain types of injury claim that can be pursued directly with specific organisations. These include:

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)

The CICA is a government body set up to compensate victims of violent crime. Applications to the CICA can be made directly by the claimant although some people decide to apply with the help of a personal injury solicitor.

Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB)

The MIB was established in 1946 to compensate injury victims of uninsured or untraceable drivers. If you have been injured in an accident with an uninsured or untraceable driver you can apply directly to the MIB for compensation. Some people prefer to do this with the assistance of a personal injury lawyer.

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)

The AFCS is the official government body that handles direct applications for compensation where service people suffered an illness or injury on or after 6 April 2005.

To be able to claim compensation the injury (or discovery of the injury) must have occurred within the last 3 years, after which any claim will be ?statute barred'.

Request a callback

Do personal injury lawyers work on no win no fee basis?

Legal Aid is not available for the most types of personal injury claim. Instead claims are usually funded with a ?Conditional Fee Agreement' or 'CFA'. CFA's are more commonly referred to as a 'No Win, No Fee' agreements or 'NWNF'.

A No Win, No Fee agreement means that if a claimant does not win their case there will be no solicitor's fees. If the claimant wins the case, the legal fees are paid by the defendant or defendant's insurer.

Do personal injury solicitors still offer 100% compensation?

It is important to note that solicitor's usually take a success fee of 25% of the claimant's compensation award.

Can a personal injury solicitor represent me in court?

Most personal injury claims are settled by negotiation with the defendant or their insurance company. Claims very rarely need to go to Court.

In the event that a the matter needs to go to Court, personal injury lawyers will instruct and brief a specialist barrister who will represent you in Court. Quittance's panel of solicitors work with barristers on a no win no fee basis meaning there would not be any barristers fees to pay - whether successful or not.

Will I need a local solicitor?

Quittance operate a national panel of specialist personal injury lawyers. It is not necessary to meet your solicitor as cases are handled via post phone and email.

A standard part of the claims process involves obtaining an independent medical opinion. Quittance's solicitors will arrange this at a local branch of our national medical expert network. If your injuries prevent you from attending, a home visit can be arranged.

What should happen next?

Whether you are ready to start you claim now or are simply looking for more information, Quittance can help.

Get further information

Quittance give detailed information helping people affected by injury choose whether to go ahead with an injury claim.

Get answers to popular questions asked by people seeking claims advice on the FAQ page.

Ready to begin?

You can start a personal injury claim here or call us on 0800 612 7456.

Our specialist team can help. Would you like to know more? You can phone 0800 612 7456 or request a no-obligation callback.