Motorsport injury compensation claims

This easy-to-follow guide sets out everything you need to know about making a successful motorsport compensation claim.

How much can I claim?

According to the MSA (Motor Sports Association) UK, more than 5,000 motor sports events are staged all over the country each year. This includes everything from 12 car rallies organised by local motor clubs to international races at Silverstone.

Despite the high speeds, risk of injury at these events is low for both the drivers and the spectators - owing to strict safety measures. However, accidents can and do happen. If an individual is involved in a motor sports or related accident and is injured as a result, they could be entitled to claim compensation.

Motocross bikes

Do I have a claim for a motorsport injury?

If you have suffered a motorsport injury in the last three years and someone else was to blame, then we can help you make a compensation claim.

Do I have a claim?

What types of motorsports accidents can occur?

Accidents involving the driver

Although rare, particularly in professional motorsports, the most obvious accidents involve the drivers themselves. Whether this involves a motorcycle or other road vehicle veering out of control or a collision between two vehicles, the injuries sustained can include: head and neck injuries; lacerations; bruises; burns; broken limbs; and spinal damage.

Non-professional drivers, or drivers participating in a motorsports leisure activity such as a fast car racing experience (or their passengers), are included in this category.

Accidents involving spectators

For the most part, watching motorsports as a spectator is safe. However, there is always potential for accidents and injury to occur. Not only is there an evident risk of fast-moving vehicles or motorcycles careering out of control and into spectator barriers, but there are also a range of other hazards. These include:

  • Dirt or grit from the track being thrown up into a spectator's face and eyes
  • Overcrowding in the spectator areas or stands
  • Slips, trips and falls from stairs, unmarked obstacles or wet surfaces throughout the venue

Motorsports festivals

Motorsports festivals, such as Goodwood's Festival of Speed, attract large crowds. As well as races and rally events, other activities include vehicle displays, arts performances, air displays, consumer stalls and hospitality.

As well as the general risks to driver and spectator, each of these additional activities presents its own set of hazards, from crush injuries from overcrowding and faulty seating or standing areas to incidents involving vehicles.

Who is liable in motorsport injury compensation claims?

Who is liable in a motorsports injury claim depends on the context in which the accident occurred and who was responsible for the safety of the person involved at the time.

All motorsport event organisers - whether they are the race promoter, track owner, motor club or the governing body - have a legal duty to ensure the safety of the drivers (and passengers) as well as the spectators. They must carry our full risk assessments and put adequate measures in place to control any that are identified.

If they do not, and a person is injured as a result, their actions would be seen as negligent and could therefore be held liable. Examples of negligence in motorsport injury claims include:

  • Failure to check for potential track damage or obstacles
  • Poor communication during events
  • Failure to install adequate, safety approved barriers
  • Poor signage warning of potential dangers
  • Inadequate training of marshals
  • Insufficient crowd and event management

Motorsport compensation claims are often complex requiring detailed knowledge of safety guidelines set by the relevant international and national governing bodies including:

  • The FiA (Federation Internationale de L'Automobile) and either;
  • the ACU (Autocycle Union) - for motorbikes;
  • or the MSA Motor Sports Association) - for cars

A solicitor can help a claimant navigate these complexities. They can also offer advice on the types of evidence that will help as case; such as medical records, witness statements and the organiser's health and safety records.

All organisers of motorsports events are required to have public liability and employer liability insurance to cover such claims.

100% No Win, No Fee motorsport compensation claim - No Catch

Typically a no win no fee agreement ( called a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA) is entered into between the claimant and a personal injury lawyer.

A no win no fee agreement is basically the conditions under which the solicitor acts for the client.

The agreement sets out what the lawyers will do and how he will be remunerated if your legal case is won.

If you instruct a Quittance solicitor for your motorsport compensation claim there are absolutely no extra fees , no up-front fees and the complete peace of mind that you will not be out of pocket.

Calculate my motorsport injury compensation

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on a number of factors. Our personal injury compensation calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.

How much can I claim?

Meet the team

The national network of Quittance solicitors take on all types of personal injury claims, from less-severe claims to life-changing injuries. Chosen for their success rate in winning claims, Quittance's panel solicitors have years of experience.

Click here to meet more of the team.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Emma Bell Employers and Public Liability Panel Solicitor
Shahida Chaudery Complex Injury Claims Panel Solicitor
Jenny Jones, Senior litigator

About the author

With over 20 years' experience in the law, Jenny has spent the last decade specialising in personal injury, with a particular focus on industrial disease cases.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert

Ask an expert

If you have any questions about the claims process or any aspect of injury compensation, let us know: