90% success rate, 100% No Win, No Fee

Road accident compensation claims

If you suffer a personal injury as a result of a car or vehicle accident with a foreign vehicle, which was not your fault, you may be entitled to compensation.

The key to a successful claim is proving liability.

Thanks to the Green Card system provided the driver was insured if you are involved in a collision with a foreign driver, you can claim in much the same way as you would for a road traffic accident with a UK registered vehicle. The only difference is that claims are overseen by the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB), who work on behalf of the foreign insurer.

How does the Green Card system work?

Recognised in over 40 countries, including all the countries of Europe, the United Nations (UN) Green Card system is designed to:

  • Allow vehicles to move freely between countries
  • Protect the interests of victims of foreign registered drivers

The Green Card itself does not offer motor insurance. Instead it is proof that the minimum legal requirements for third party liability are covered in the motor insurance policy of participating countries. This makes it essential in helping settlement claims arising from an accident.

What to do immediately after an accident

Just as you would after an accident with a UK registered vehicle, take down the driver's name, address, contact number, registration plate and any other relevant information. If the driver is struggling to understand English, be sure to at least note the registration plate. This can be used to trace the owner of the vehicle and insurance details, if necessary.

In addition, be sure to get as much information you can from any witnesses to the accident. And take note of any CCTV cameras in the area. These will help prove liability in any compensation claim.

Once you have the insurance details of the foreign vehicle, the Green Card system should enable you to make a claim with the help of the MIB. If an accident happened outside of the UK, or if the foreign driver was uninsured, the claim can be more complex.

On what basis can I make a claim?

If you are involved in a road traffic accident with a foreign vehicle which was not your fault, and suffer a personal injury as a result, you have grounds to make a claim.

Whether you are suffering from whiplash or have sustained other body injuries, you are entitled to seek compensation for loss of earnings, medical bills and travel expenses.

The crucial step to making a successful claim is proving that the accident was caused by the foreign driver. However, this can be difficult to attest.

Following the correct procedures immediately after the accident can really be of benefit.

Do I have a road accident involving a foreign vehicle injury claim?

If you were injured in a road accident involving a foreign vehicle injury in the last three years (longer if children were involved) and someone else was to blame, then we can probably help you make a compensation claim.

See our Online Claim Eligibility Calculator for a better idea of where you stand.

Calculate my foreign vehicle road accident compensation

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on a number of factors. Our road accident compensation calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.

Road traffic accident case study

Claimant awarded £2,350 for whiplash injuries View case study