Slip in a Car Park Injury Compensation Claims

If your life, or the life of a loved one, has been affected by a car park slip accident we can help.

The purpose of this guide is to help anyone who has suffered a car park slip accident and is considering a legal claim for compensation. If you are looking for medical advice, please see the NHS website.

In our guide to claiming slip in a car park injury compensation:


Land that the public can use as a car park may be privately owned (for example a pub car park), or publicly owned (municipal car park). Drivers of vehicles should be insured to drive on any such publicly accessible land, even where it is privately owned.

When a road traffic accident occurs in a private car park, the parties involved should stop and exchange details. Any claims then made would be through the insurers.

If the other party is away from the vehicle details should be left before leaving the scene so that driver can make contact later.

Car park

Do I have a slip in a car park injury claim?

You should be eligible to make a slip in a car park injury claim if your injury happened:

  • in the last three years, and;
  • someone else was at fault, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.
Check my claim

Claim eligibility - Common questions

What if a child was injured?

The 3 year rule does not apply to minors.

A claim can be pursued for anyone under the age of 18 by a parent, guardian or litigation friend. The injured child has up to the age of 21 to start a slip in a car park injury claim on their own behalf.

Read more about claiming injury compensation on behalf of a child.

Should the police be involved?

In general, accidents in car parks tend to be low-speed incidents and people are unlikely to be injured. Therefore the police are seldom required to attend.

It may be worth reporting to the police (within 24 hours) if there is likely to be dispute over who was to blame for the incident in case the other party decides to file a claim at a later date.

If the other driver has no insurance then the police should be informed. It may be possible to claim for damages through the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB).

What if an injury has been caused?

When an accident in a car park has caused injury the police must attend. They will carry out investigations into the causes of the accident and compile a report. This will be needed for any personal injury compensation claim.

Photographs of the incident should be taken where possible, and details of any witnesses. Private car parks may also have CCTV footage.

It is important to seek medical attention for any injuries sustained as a medical report will be required should a claim be brought for compensation.

What happens when the other driver has left without leaving any details?

If a vehicle was damaged by an unknown party whilst the claimant was not at the scene then the claimant may have to claim through his own insurance, potentially increasing the premiums.

It may be possible to claim for either personal injury compensation, or for damage to personal property through the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) Untraced Drivers' Agreement.

The claimant must make a formal report of the incident to the police; within 14 days if injury has been sustained, or within 5 days for damage to property.

If there were any witnesses, any details may help to identify the driver or vehicle involved. Photographs of the damage and location should be taken.

The claimant should also report the accident to his own insurers who may be able to trace the other party or his insurers.

If the driver is traced but has no insurance then a claim may be made through the MIB's Uninsured Drivers' Agreement.

Any claims to the MIB must be made within 9 months of the accident date for property damage, or 3 years for personal injury.

How much compensation can I claim for a slip in a car park injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your slip in a car park injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your slip in a car park injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after a slip in a car park injury? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

How is compensation calculated if I have multiple injuries?

If you have sustained multiple injuries, the compensation amounts are not simply added together.

The upper bracket of the most serious injury may be considered as a starting point, with a reduced amount applied for the other less severe injuries.

For example:

General damages for a serious leg injury can be £40,000

For a more minor wrist injury, in isolation, you would typically receive £2,900.

However, if you have a serious leg injury and a more minor wrist injury, you would typically receive £40,000 + a reduced percentage of £2,900.

Special damages, such as loss of earnings are not usually increased if you have multiple injuries. Read more about multiple injury claims.

What is the average injury compensation for a slip in a car park injury claim?

The Judicial College injury tables give a approximate idea of the ranges awarded for different injuries.

However, the money you would receive following a slip in a car park injury will depend entirely on your specific circumstances.

Your slip in a car park injury compensation will be calculated based on the unique impact your injuries have had on your life and your ability to work, and on the actual financial losses you have incurred as a result of your injuries.

Can I get an interim payment?

Interim payments are effectively an advance on a probable compensation award. An interim payment may be awarded if the claimant is in immediate financial hardship.

Calculate my slip in a car park injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for a slip in a car park injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your slip in a car park injury claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

How long does a car park injury claim take?

The length of time needed to get compensation for a car park injury can vary considerably.

For example, a straightforward liability accepted pedestrian accident claim might be concluded in a couple of months. If the defendant denies liability, the process might take considerably longer. On average a pedestrian accident claim takes between 4 and 9 months. Read more: How long will my claim take?

Caring and sensitive support

Your solicitor will handle your slip in a car park injury claim from the initial consultation through to the financial settlement. In addition, your solicitor will work with other specialists to help you with:

  • Financial support: interim payments while you are unable to work.
  • Advice: on personal injury trusts, tax and welfare benefits.
  • Coordination: with rehabilitation providers and therapists.
  • Access: to treatment and therapies not always available on the NHS.

How did your injury occur?

The claims process that your solicitor follows will vary, depending on how the injury occurred:

No win, no fee - the facts

No Win, No Fee is an agreement with your solicitor (known as a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA) that means that you can make a slip in a car park injury claim with:

  • no upfront legal fees
  • no solicitor's fees payable if your claim is not successful
  • a success fee payable only if your claim is successful

No Win, No Fee is the most common way to make a compensation claim.

No win, no fee guarantee

If you have been injured through no fault of your own, our no win, no fee guarantee takes the risk out of claiming compensation for your slip in a car park injury. Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

What do I pay if I win my slip in a car park injury claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee which is deducted from your compensation, after your claim is settled. The solicitor's success fee can be up to 25%. You and your solicitor can agree the success fee before you start your claim.

What do I pay if I do not win my slip in a car park injury claim?

If your slip in a car park injury claim is not successful then you do not have to pay any legal fees at all. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

How do personal injury solicitors get paid?

If your slip in a car park injury claim is successful, the defendant, or their insurer, will pay the compensation and your solicitors fees.

How can Quittance help?

Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, and the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning injury claims.

If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, we are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 376 1001 or arrange a callback:

Call me back
  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Slip in a car park injury FAQ's

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more about claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I was partly responsible for an accident?

You may still be able to claim compensation even if you contributed to your accident or to your injuries.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more about claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long do I have to make a slip in a car park injury claim?

In general, you have a time limit of up to 3 years from the date of the slip in a car park injury to make an injury claim.

The last date you can make a claim is known as the claim limitation date - after which your slip in a car park injury claim becomes 'statute barred'.

Can I claim for a slip in a car park injury after 3 years?

Possibly. The general rule for adults is that a claim must be started within three years.

However, the three-year countdown starts on the day you learned of your injury or illness. This will usually be the date of the accident, but could be the date your doctor gave you a diagnosis.

If you were injured as a child, you do have up until your 21st birthday to make a claim.

There other circumstances that can also impact the limitation date. Call us now on 0800 376 1001 to find out if you are still able to claim slip in a car park injury compensation.

In reality, there are a number of factors that can affect whether a slip in a car park injury claim will be taken on by a solicitor.

Calculate your claim limitation date

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. The vast majority of claims that are settled by the solicitor panel are settled out of court.

Only a very small percentage (approx. 5%) of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are held in front of a judge, not a jury.

Read more: Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

Will I have to go to a solicitor's office?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. As with most professional services, it is no longer necessary to meet face to face with your solicitor. Personal injury claims are dealt with via email, post and telephone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more: Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

Can I get an early compensation payment?

If you suffer financial hardship as a result of an injury, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is a partial settlement of your claim which is paid before your claim is concluded. The amount you receive in interim payments would then be deducted from your final compensation settlement or award.

Read more about interim compensation payments.

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor