Housing association accident claims

Updated: October 8, 2018


When renting properties to tenants, public bodies such as housing associations must abide by certain rules to ensure that the property is maintained in a sanitary condition, and that residents are not put in danger due to poor maintenance.

Failure to perform regular checks and implement a program of repairs could result in tenants sustaining injuries or illnesses ranging from cuts and lacerations to burn and scald injuries, to serious respiratory problems, such as asthma.

Anyone who has been hurt or has become ill while living in a rented home may be eligible to make an occupiers' liability claim or compensation claim against their landlord.

To make a successful claim, it must be shown that the party responsible for the property, in these cases the Housing Association, knew about the problem and failed to take the necessary steps to fix in a reasonable time frame.

Housing association flats
Back to top

Do I have a housing association accident claim?

If you were injured in a housing association accident in the last three years (longer if children were involved) and someone else was to blame, then we can help you make a compensation claim.

Back to top

What are the responsibilities of the housing association?

Housing association landlords must ensure that the properties they lease to tenants are kept in a liveable and sanitary condition. By law, they are responsible for:

  • Keeping the boiler, plumbing systems and electrical heating equipment in good repair
  • Keeping the roof, walls and plasterwork in good repair and watertight
  • Fixing any leaking pipes, guttering and other signs of water ingress
  • Tackling problems with damp and mould.

Depending on the terms of the lease or rental agreement, the housing association may also be responsible for maintaining other facilities such as the garden or the kitchen appliances.

A solicitor will assist with the identification of who is responsible for your injuries, and therefore who the claim should be made against, when you start your claim.

Back to top

What are the risks arising from poorly-maintained properties?

Living in a property that does not meet basic sanitation and safety standards can pose a risk to human health. Some of the common problems experienced by tenants and their families include:

  • Leaks and damp conditions that, if not tackled in timely manner, could cause mould-related illnesses such as asthma, especially in young or vulnerable residents
  • Poorly maintained premises that can cause slip, trip and fall accidents or other injuries from collapsing ceilings, broken handrails and defective balconies
  • Faulty wiring that poses a greater-than-average fire risk
  • Poorly maintained and lit common areas such as stairwells, which can cause slip, trip and fall accidents
  • Problems with windows and doors, which can cause condensation to build up leading to damp or mould growth, and may prevent escape in the event of fire
  • Poor quality or incorrectly fitted boilers that can emit toxic fumes such as carbon monoxide, which can be fatal in some circumstances.
Back to top

Making a Housing Association accident claim

Housing associations do not live in the properties they own and are not in a position to know about every defect that may arise in each individual unit.

To make a successful claim, it must therefore be established that:

  • The housing association was notified of the hazard before the injury; and
  • The housing association had a reasonable amount of time to make the necessary repairs, before the injury occurred.

Housing Association have a legal duty to respond to complaints as soon as reasonably possible.

The response time is usually interpreted as within 20 working days, but what is considered a "reasonable" amount of time will depend on the nature of the complaint.

If the complaint relates to an extremely serious, even life-threatening defect, the association may be expected to respond much sooner.

If the Housing Association is responsible for repairing the defect and they fail to do so within a reasonable time, then it may be possible to pursue a claim for compensation for the illness or injury a tenant or member of the public sustains as a result.

Back to top

No Win, No Fee housing association compensation claims

No Win, No Fee housing association claims effectively begin once a Claimant signs, with their preferred solicitor, a Conditional Fee Agreement, or CFA,.

The CFA is essentially the contract or "terms and conditions" between you and your personal injury solicitor. The document details the work executed by the solicitor handling your case and a "success fee" to be taken from the compensation after your case is successful.

By selecting a Quittance personal injury lawyer, you will have complete peace of mind with the knowledge that you will never be out of pocket.

Back to top

How much compensation can I claim for a housing association accident?

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on a number of factors. Our personal injury compensation calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.

Use our Online Compensation Calculator
Back to top

Meet our team

Quittance's nationwide panel of solicitors handle all types of personal injury claims and have a wealth of experience in short-term, serious and life-changing injury claims. Our lawyers are selected on the basis of their professionalism and their winning track record.

Click here to meet more of the Quittance Legal Services team.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Emma Bell Employers and Public Liability Panel Solicitor
Shahida Chaudery Complex Injury Claims Panel Solicitor
Jonathan Speight, Senior litigator

About the author

Jonathan has over 30 years' experience in the personal injury sector and has been awarded the rank of Senior Litigator by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert

Start a no win, no fee claim

If you have been injured and would like to talk to us about making a claim, contact us now for a no obligation discussion. Our expert personal injury solicitors have a 90% success rate and are on hand to help you now.

Contact us icon

Call us

Speak to an expert solicitor with no obligation.

0800 612 0699

Callback icon

Call me back

A solicitor will call you back at a time that suits you.

Call me back
Claim online icon

Claim online

Start a no win, no fee personal injury claim online.

Start a claim

Case studies

Serious Injury Solicitor

Rakhi Chauhan secures £80,000 following a road collision with a lorry

The victim was forced off the road when a lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Read more
Serious Injury Solicitor

Kevin Walker obtains £80,000 for a construction worker's catastrophic hand injury

The worker also recieved trauma-specialist physiotherapy, welfare advice and state-of-the-art prostheses.

Read more

Ask an expert

If you have any questions about the claims process or any aspect of injury compensation, let us know:

Be the first!