If a hotel injury has set you back, we'll help you move forward

Accidents in hotels, be they from slips and falls or from faulty equipment, can lead to compensation claims for medical expenses, loss of enjoyment on vacations, and other damages resulting from a hotel management's oversight.

If your life, or the life of a loved one, has been affected by a hotel accident, we can help. Whether your injuries happened in the UK or abroad, in a hotel or during your journey, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

You can make a holiday injury or illness compensation claim with the help and support of a personal injury solicitor.

In this article


    The majority of hotels in the UK and overseas, work hard to provide a safe and comfortable environment for their guests.

    UK hotels must abide by a raft of legislation governing the environment they provide to both guest and hotel staff. Hotels must also observe legislation governing food preparation and general health and safety.

    Hotels abroad will adhere to the regulations of the country in which they are based. However, if you book a hotel abroad through a UK tour operator or agent, the hotel's safety should be verified by the tour operator.

    If you have an accident as the result of the negligence of hotel staff, a tour operator or a contractor operating on hotel premises, you may be able to claim hotel accident compensation.

    Occupier's liability

    If you have been injured as a result of hotel negligence, you could a claim on the basis of 'occupier's liability'.

    Occupiers have a 'duty of care' to take all reasonable measures to ensure the safety of their guests and employees.

    The hotel operator should regularly assess their premises for hazards. They should identify all possible hazards and determine if action needs to be taken to reduce or remove the risks they pose.

    Common causes of hotel accidents

    • Swimming pools
    • Balconies
    • Slips, trips and falls from slippery or wet floors, trip hazards, staircases, reduced lighting levels,
    • Food poisoning
    • Burns - kettles, faulty or unfamiliar shower thermostats, trouser presses, buffets etc

    Accidents at work

    Kitchen, restaurant and bar environments mean that hotel staff are often at even greater risk than the guests. If you have been injured working in a hotel, you would be able to pursue a claim against your employer.

    A claim should still be possible even if you were working as a temp, via an agency or on a zero-hours contract.

    Read more about making a work injury claim.

    What should I do if injured in a hotel?

    If you are injured as a guest in a hotel you should:

    • Seek appropriate medical attention.
    • Ask the medical professional for written evidence of your visit and any treatment.
    • Inform the hotel asap of the accident. Many hotels offer 24/7 cover so let them know immediately no matter what the time is.
    • If the accident occurs abroad and you booked through a UK agent, inform the holiday rep or call the agent's office.
    • Ask the hotel for their public liability insurer's details - ask for a photocopy of their policy certificate.
    • Collect as much evidence as possible - take photographs from all angles, take a food sample.
    • Ask any witnesses (guests and staff) for their contact details.
    • write a detailed account of what happened

    Who would you claim against?

    A hotel injury claim will, in most cases, be made against the hotel owner. If you are visiting the hotel as a guest, whether on holiday, on business, or for any other reason, the hotel has a duty to ensure that you are not injured.

    The Occupiers Liability Act 1957 lays out a legal framework to ensure you are protected while visiting someone else's property. The act allows for visitors to claim compensation against owners and occupiers.

    In the UK hotels are obliged to have public liability insurance. A claim would most likely be pursued against the insurer. Any compensation awarded would be paid by the insurer.

    If you are injured as an employee of the hotel, a claim would be made against the hotel's employer's liability insurance.

    Do I have a hotel injury claim?

    As a basic rule, you will be eligible to make an injury claim if you were injured:

    • in the last 3 years, and;
    • another person or organisation was to blame, and;
    • they owed you duty of care.

    Find out online if you can claim with our injury claim calculator. Alternatively, you can speak to a claims advisor on 0800 376 1001 and find out if you have a claim in minutes.

    What if the accident was partly my fault?

    Attributing blame for an accident isn't always clear-cut.

    In our 2023 Public Liability Injury Claimant Survey, we found that 17.45% of respondents felt they had at least some responsibility for the injuries they sustained.

    You can often still claim compensation even if you were partly to blame, as cases with shared fault usually settle with a split-liability agreement.

    Read more:

    Can I claim if I feel I was partly responsible for my accident?

    How much compensation can I claim for a hotel accident injury?

    The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

    • the seriousness of your injury, and
    • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

    At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injuries have affected your life. Your solicitor will take these considerations into account to calculate the correct compensation award.

    Hotel accident injury compensation calculator

    Get an accurate compensation estimate (including for multiple injuries), confirm your legal position, and check if you have a No Win, No Fee claim.

    Updated December 2023 Compensation Calculator v3.04

    General damages

    General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

    Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

    How is compensation calculated if I have multiple injuries?

    Special damages

    Special damages is compensation awarded to cover any financial losses and expenses you incur as a result of your hotel accident injury or negligent medical treatment. These damages aim to put you back in the financial position you would have been in, had your injury not occurred.

    Special damages will also cover your medical treatment expenses, that might include pain medication and psychological support.

    Read more:

    A complete list of recoverable losses in a personal injury claim

    Public liability claims

    Hotel accident injuries are usually referred to as public place, or occupiers' liability, claims. Click on the icons below to learn more:


    How long does an injury claim take?

    What are my chances of winning my claim?

    Will my claim go to court?

    Can I claim for someone else?

    How long do I have to make an injury claim?

    What if a child was injured?

    No win, no fee hotel accident injury compensation claims

    With no win, no fee, you can claim hotel accident injury compensation without financial risk. If your claim isn't successful, you pay nothing. If you win, you only pay a pre-agreed percentage of your compensation.

    Find out more about how no win, no fee claims work

    How we can help you with your injury claim

    Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, and the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning injury claims.

    • Tick icon FREE consultation
    • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
    • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

    If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee injury claim, we are open:

    Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 9:30am-5pm

    Call us for FREE advice on 0800 376 1001, or arrange a call back from a friendly, legally-trained advisor:

    Call me back
    Review testimonial image
    Quittance testimonial quotation marks

    Handled with the utmost professionalism... extremely kind, courteous and empathetic.

    The Good Solicitor Guide

    Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

    Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor