Illness or injury compensation claims in Croatia

In the following guide we set out what you need to know about making an injury or illness compensation claim in Croatia.

How much can I claim?

Please note

Our panel of solicitors are no longer able to assist with compensation claims for accidents abroad.

The time limit (or limitation date) for making a compensation claim following an accident or illness in Croatia will vary depending on your trip. Holidaymakers are advised to start their claim process as soon as possible to ensure they have enough time to pursue a claim.

Circumstances of injury or illness Limitation date*
On a flight to or from Croatia, in a hotel, or during an pre-booked excursion or activity, and where the holiday was booked through a UK-based package tour operator 3 years
Injury or illness in Croatia during a trip that was booked privately (not booked through a UK tour operator) Time limits can vary - see Time Limit Calculator for more information

Injury or illness during a privately-booked flight (not booked through a UK tour operator) to or from:

  • Dubrovnik airport
  • Pula Airport
  • Split Airport
  • Zadar Airport
2 years

*Contact a specialist solicitor for more information or calculate how long you have to make a claim here.

Our network of solicitors do not currently have the capacity to take on holiday-related injury and sickness claims outside the UK. It is recommended that you contact a personal injury specialist solicitor to discuss your options as soon as possible, as some jurisdictions have limitation dates of less than the three year limit that is standard in the UK.

Dubrovnik croatia

What to do if you have been injured in an accident in Croatia?

You may be unsure about making a claim when you return home, but even if you are, there are things you can do to keep your options open and strengthen any potential injury claim.

Read more general information about holiday accident and illness claims here.

Who to contact in an emergency incident in Croatia

Phone 112 to speak to the Croatian emergency services, or 192 to speak directly to police, 193 for the fire brigade, 194 for ambulance service and 195 for sea rescue.

Croatian police are generally professional and helpful to British tourists, although they may speak little English.

Whether you have returned home from Croatia, are being treated in a Croatian hospital, or are continuing with your holiday, following these steps can give your claim a better chance of success.

  • Seek professional medical attention
  • Contact your travel insurance provider
  • Report the accident or illness
  • Gather evidence
  • Gather witness statements
  • Contact a solicitor

Medical treatment following an accident

Call 112 to speak to the emergency services in Croatia. When you call the Emergency services in Croatia you must give the following information:

  • Your name
  • The nature of the incident
  • What time the incident occurred
  • Where the incident took place
  • If there are any injured people, and how severe their injuries are
  • What kind of help you need (fire, ambulance etc)

Emergency service calls and Ambulance use is free in Croatia.

A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will allow you to access public healthcare in Croatia at a reduced cost, or in some cases for free. It will cover your treatment until you get home, but you are still advised to take out holiday insurance that will cover medical costs.

Croatian package holiday injury claims

Holidaymakers to Croatia] who booked their trip through a package tour operator are protected by specific regulations. The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 enable people who have been injured abroad to make a claim against the UK-based holiday company, through the Courts in England and Wales.

Package tour operators in Croatia

Many well-known UK holiday companies offer package holidays to Croatia, including First Choice, Thomson, Expedia and Thomas Cook. Popular package tour resorts include Dubrovnik, Split, Zadar and Zagreb.

Any injuries or illness should be reported to the tour company's representative at the Croatian resort. If there is no rep available, make a report to the operator's UK head office.

Categories of common Croatian holiday injuries

Sports and adventure holiday accidents in Croatia

Croatia is a popular destination for adventure holidays thanks to its mountainous regions, forests and many miles of coast line. Cycling is a popular sport in Istria, Dalmatia is popular for swimming holidays, and Kvarner is a hit with walkers due to mountains, lakes and its National Park. Split is the most popular destination for

Adventure holidays come with inherent risks, as the pastimes themselves are dangerous. People are more likely to injure themselves on adventure holidays as they are often unfamiliar with their surroundings and may take more risks than usual. If you have been injured on an adventure holiday, you may be able to claim compensation if a third party is responsible.

Road traffic accidents in Croatia

British drivers are at higher risk of road traffic collisions in Croatia due to the difference in driving on the right. If British holidaymakers take their own cars to Croatia they are required to adjust their light beams.

In 2013 there were 8.6 road deaths per 100,000 in Croatia, which is high when compared with the average of 2.8 in the UK.

Do I need a Croatian lawyer to make a personal injury claim?

If you have been injured during a non-package holiday in Croatia, it may still be possible for a UK-based solicitor to pursue your claim through the Courts in England and Wales.

It is recommended that you seek legal advice as soon as possible, if you believe you have a claim, as non-package travel claims can be complex and take significantly longer to gather all the necessary information.

Useful contact details

British Embassy Zagreb

Ivana Lucica 4

1000 Zagreb


Telephone +385 (1) 6009 100

British Consulate General Split

Obala Hrvatskog Narodnog Preporoda


21000 Split

Meet the QLS team

Quittance's national network of solicitors handle all types of personal injury claims and have a wealth of expertise with fast track, complex and catastrophic injury claims. Our lawyers are selected on the basis of their years of specialist experience and their winning track record.

Meet more of the QLS team: click here.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Emma Bell Employers and Public Liability Panel Solicitor
Shahida Chaudery Complex Injury Claims Panel Solicitor
Jenny Jones, Senior litigator

About the author

With over 20 years' experience in the law, Jenny has spent the last decade specialising in personal injury, with a particular focus on industrial disease cases.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert