Pesticide Poisoning Compensation Claims

If your life, or the life of a loved one, has been affected by pesticide poisoning, we can help.

Claiming injury compensation with a solicitor

You can make a hazardous substances compensation claim with the help and support of a specialist solicitor.

Your solicitor will ask you about what happened, and they will collect evidence to prove that the exposure caused your injuries or illness. Your solicitor will also work out how much money you can claim, based on your injuries, lost earnings and other expenses.

We can help you make a hazardous substances exposure claim on a No Win No Fee basis.

In this article


Pesticides are substances used to control and kill pests, including plants, insects and animals. Pesticides are manufactured using natural and synthetic chemicals to create herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, rodenticides and molluscicides.

Pesticides are widely used in agriculture as well as in textile manufacture, catering and in domestic gardens. Because pesticides are designed to kill plants, insects and animals, they can also be a danger to humans if inhaled, ingested or through direct contact with skin. If you have been poisoned by pesticides, you may be able to make a hazardous substances-related compensation claim.

On office equipment

Types of pesticide poisoning

Poisoning from pesticides is usually categorised into three types:

  1. Single, short-term (acute) very high level exposure. Usually from inhaling or ingesting a large quantity of pesticide
  2. Long-term (chronic) high-level exposure. This can happen to pesticide formulators and manufacturers from coming into contact with the substances
  3. Long-term (chronic) low-level exposure. Often resulting from exposure to pesticide residues in food, air, water, soil, plants and animals

What are the harmful effects of pesticide poisoning?

Pesticides are substances that are crafted to be deliberately poisonous to the plants of animals they are designed for. This usually means that the concentration of poisonous chemicals is not high enough to kill humans in small quantities, but if exposed, health can be adversely affected.

The most common effects include:

Less common long-term effects can include:

  • Cancers including leukaemia, lymphoma, brain, kidney, breast, prostate, pancreas, liver and skin
  • Neurological effects including Parkinson's disease and dementia
  • Reproductive issues including birth defects, foetal death and altered foetal growth
  • Infertility

Who might be affected by pesticide poisoning?

Those who work in agriculture, textiles, or the formulation, manufacture or handling of pesticides are at the highest risk of exposure and poisoning from pesticides. Members of the public can also be affected if pesticides are used in close proximity to their home or place of work.

Pesticide spillages or improper drainage can cause water and soil contamination. If food is handled, transported, prepared or treated improperly, pesticides can be ingested.

If you have been exposed to pesticides at work

Employers have a duty of care to their employers to provide a safe workplace and to reduce the risk of injury.

Necessary safety precautions should be taken when there is a chance that staff may be exposed to harmful pesticides. Failure to provide adequate training, and failing to provide suitable Personal Protective Equipment such as goggles, filtration masks and chemical resistance suits may be evidence of an employer breaching their duty. Employers must also ensure that chemicals are properly labelled and safely stored.

If you believe that your employer has failed in their duty of care and this failure resulted in harmful pesticide exposure, you may be able to make a work-related illness claim.

If you have been exposed to pesticides at home or in a public space

Pesticides should be safely sprayed or applied to avoid coming into contact with the public. If you have been exposed to pesticides, you should be able to make a claim against the company responsible for the pesticide exposure.

Your solicitor will be able to help identify the party responsible for the exposure.

Do I have an injury claim?

It should be possible to make an injury claim if:

  • you were diagnosed in the last 3 years and;
  • someone else, such as your employer, was to blame.

Even if these two points don't apply to you, you may still be able to make a claim.

To get impartial advice on whether you have a claim, speak to injury claims expert on 0800 376 1001.

A brief phone consultation will tell you exactly where you stand. There is no obligation to start a claim.

What if I didn't seek medical attention?

If you did not seek medical attention to have your injuries diagnosed after an incident may make proving liability more difficult, but a claim may still be possible. This will depend on the circumstances of your case and on the other evidence available.

Can I make a pesticide poisoning claim right up to the three-year limit?

Technically, yes. However, in practice, not always. Many solicitors will not take on a pesticide poisoning claim that only has a few months (sometimes even a year) left before the time limit expires. The panel of solicitors will take a claim on as late as possible where it is felt that the claim could be successful.

What can I claim compensation for?

If you have suffered any of the above symptoms from pesticide exposure, you may be able to claim compensation for the pain and suffering caused, the impact on quality of life and lifestyle, the psychological impact, and for any income lost due to incapacitation.

How much compensation can I claim for an injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your injury will depend on:

  • the seriousness of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your injuries have affected your life. Your solicitor will take these considerations into account to calculate the correct compensation award.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after an injury? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

What is the average injury compensation for an injury claim?

The Judicial College injury tables give a approximate idea of the ranges awarded for different injuries.

However, the money you would receive following an injury will depend entirely on your specific circumstances.

Your injury compensation will be calculated based on the unique impact your injuries have had on your life and your ability to work, and on the actual financial losses you have incurred as a result of your injuries.

Calculate my injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for an injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your injury claim could be worth now:

Injury Compensation

  • Instant accurate calculation
  • Checks your right to claim
  • Confirms No Win, No Fee eligibility
Calculate my compensation

How long does a pesticide poisoning claim take?

The time needed to get compensation for pesticide poisoning can vary significantly.

If your employer or responsible party accepts liability, a claim might be concluded in a couple of months. If the employer denies liability, the process might take significantly longer. Usually, a hazardous substance injury claim takes between 6 and 9 months. To read more about how long your claim could take, see: How long will my claim take?

How else can a solicitor help me?

Your solicitor will handle your injury claim from the initial FREE case evaluation, through to the financial settlement.

Your solicitor will work with other specialists to provide caring and sensitive support and help you with:

  • Financial support: interim payments while you are unable to work.
  • Advice: on personal injury trusts, tax and welfare benefits.
  • Coordination: with rehabilitation providers and therapists.
  • Access: to treatment and therapies not always available on the NHS.

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. Solicitors settle the vast majority of claims out of court.

Less than 5% of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are decided by a judge or magistrate, not a jury.

Even if the claim does go to court, it is very unlikely you will have to attend.

Read more:

Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

No win, no fee

Under a no win, no fee agreement, your solicitor agrees that you will have no legal fees to pay if you do not winn your claim .

No win, no fee promise

If you have been injured and someone else was to blame (even partially), our no win, no fee guarantee takes the risk out of making an injury compensation claim. Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

What do I pay if I win my injury claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee which is deducted from your compensation, once your claim is settled. The solicitor's success fee can be up to 25%. You and your solicitor can agree the success fee before you start your claim.

What do I pay if I do not win my injury claim?

If your injury claim is not successful then you do not have to pay any legal fees whatsoever. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

How we can help you

Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, and the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning injury claims.

If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, we are open:

  • 8am to 9pm weekdays
  • 9am to 6pm on Saturday
  • 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday

Call us for FREE advice on 0800 376 1001, or arrange a call back from a friendly, legally-trained advisor:

Call me back
  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Injury FAQ's

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more:

Claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I feel I was partly responsible for my accident?

Yes. You may still be able to claim compensation even if your actions may have contributed to the accident.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more:

Claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long do I have to make an injury claim?

In general, you have a time limit of up to 3 years from the date of the injury to make an injury claim.

The last date you can make a claim is known as the claim limitation date - after which your injury claim becomes 'statute barred'.

Can I claim for an injury after 3 years?

Possibly. The general rule for adults is that a claim must be started within three years.

However, the three-year countdown starts on the day you learned of your injury or illness. This will usually be the date of the accident, but could be the date your doctor gave you a diagnosis.

There other circumstances that can also impact the limitation date. Call us now on 0800 376 1001 to find out if you are still able to claim injury compensation.

In reality, there are a number of factors that can affect whether an injury claim will be taken on by a solicitor.

Calculate your claim limitation date

Will I have to visit a solicitor's office to start a claim?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. Personal injury claims are handled by email, post and phone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more:

Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

I need the money now - what are my options?

If you are unable to work and have bills to pay, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is an advance on your compensation payment. Any amount you receive in interim payments would be deducted from your final compensation payment.

Read more:

How to I get an interim compensation payment?

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor