Asbestos in schools compensation claims

Updated: October 8, 2018


Despite being completely banned since 1999, asbestos in still found in the structure of around 75% of UK schools. Because asbestos poses a significant hazard to health when disturbed, government policy has been to keep asbestos containing material (ACM) in situ, managing the risks rather than removing them.

Members of the Asbestos Consultants Association (ATCA), as well as MPs, teaching unions, school support staff and others, have serious concerns that asbestos management in many schools is not adequate. In some cases, the ATCA argue, this management is non-existent.

Evidence suggests that dangerous asbestos fibres can be released not only through poor management, but also through wear and tear. Such wear and tear may be inevitable in schools.

Asbestos in schools
Back to top

Why is asbestos so prevalent in schools?

Asbestos and ACMs were used extensively from the 1950s to the 1980s.

Many of today's schools were built or refurbished during this period under CLASP (Consortium of Local Authorities Special Program) a systematic approach to building which used standard designs, specifications and materials, including asbestos.

A school does not need to have been built under the CLASP scheme to be affected. Asbestos can also still be found in schools built after 1980, before it was banned.

Back to top

Why is asbestos so dangerous?

Material containing asbestos can release fibres into the air which, if inhaled, can damage the lungs and lead to serious diseases, such as asbestosis and Mesothelioma. Often symptoms do not appear until an average 20-30 years after exposure.

The three most common types of asbestos fibres are chrysotile, amosite and crocidolite. According to a report by The Asbestos in Schools Group (2011), all schools contained Chrysotile. But there was also widespread use of amosite and crocidolite, which are much more dangerous 100 and 500 times respectively.

Back to top

What are the particular risks in schools?

In addition to ACMs being prevalent in schools, which is in itself a risk, the management of them by schools is considered by the ATCA to often be insufficient.

Some schools are in poor condition of upkeep generally, often because they are beyond their design life and there are inadequate funds to properly maintain the buildings.

Every time structural materials containing asbestos are hit, kicked, or otherwise stressed, fibres may be released. This can even be the case when the ACM is sealed by painting over.Normal classroom activities can also release fibres at significantly greater levels than background levels in other-use buildings. Over prolonged periods of exposure, the higher level can significantly increase the level of risk.

Back to top

What assurances can be sought?

Children and school staff are potentially at risk, but the risk can be significantly reduced if properly managed.

For peace of mind, parents can seek information on whether the school their child attends has ACMs. If the school was built before 2000 they can ask the Local Education Authority for a copy of the school's Asbestos Management Plan and Survey. Parents can also:

  • Ask teachers and asbestos managers what sealing is in place
  • If a CLASP school, ask if HSW/SCAPE guidance has been followed
  • Find out if air tests were undertaken in the school
  • Ask if all teachers know where the asbestos is
  • Ask the school how they manage it
  • Physically check for any signs of danger themselves

The Department for Education (DfE) recently reviewed its policies on asbestos management in schools, publishing their findings in March 2015. The review outlines how the government will give more support to people responsible for managing asbestos in schools.

Back to top

How much compensation can be claimed for a school asbestos illness?

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on a number of factors. Our asbestos-related compensation calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.

Back to top

Meet the QLS team

Quittance's national network of solicitors handle all types of personal injury claims and have a wealth of expertise with fast track, complex and catastrophic injury claims. Our lawyers are selected on the basis of their winning track record and their professionalism.

Click here to see more of the Quittance team.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Emma Bell Employers and Public Liability Panel Solicitor
Shahida Chaudery Complex Injury Claims Panel Solicitor
Paul Carvis, Personal injury solicitor

About the author

Paul is a member of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel, a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, and has served as a Deputy District Judge, giving him a uniquely broad understanding of the claims process.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert

Start a no win, no fee claim

If you have been injured and would like to talk to us about making a claim, contact us now for a no obligation discussion. Our expert asbestos-related solicitors have a 90% success rate and are on hand to help you now.

Contact us icon

Call us

Speak to an expert solicitor with no obligation.

0800 612 0699

Callback icon

Call me back

A solicitor will call you back at a time that suits you.

Call me back
Claim online icon

Claim online

Start a no win, no fee asbestos-related claim online.

Start a claim

Case studies

Serious Injury Solicitor

Rakhi Chauhan secures £80,000 following a road collision with a lorry

The victim was forced off the road when a lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Read more
Serious Injury Solicitor

Kevin Walker obtains £80,000 for a construction worker's catastrophic hand injury

The worker also recieved trauma-specialist physiotherapy, welfare advice and state-of-the-art prostheses.

Read more

Ask an expert

If you have any questions about the claims process or any aspect of injury compensation, let us know:

Be the first!