Faulty Iron Burn Injury Compensation Claims

If your life, or the life of a loved one, has been affected by a burn injury we can help.

The purpose of this guide is to help anyone who has suffered a burn injury and is considering a legal claim for compensation. If you are looking for medical advice, please see the NHS website.

In our guide to claiming faulty iron burn injury compensation:


Manufacturers and distributors have a duty to protect consumers by ensuring that the products they make and sell are fit for purpose and safe to use.

Personal injury solicitors have assisted with claims for burns and other injuries sustained by many faulty household items, including irons, kettles, electric hobs and heaters.

If an injury has been sustained as a result of a defective product, the injured party is generally entitled to make a claim.

Faulty iron injury

Do I have a faulty iron burn injury claim?

It should be possible to make a faulty iron burn injury claim if you sustained an injury:

  • within the last three years, and;
  • another person was to blame, and;
  • that person owed you a duty of care.
Check my claim

Claim eligibility - Common questions

What if a child was injured?

The 3 year rule does not apply to minors.

A claim can be pursued for anyone under the age of 18 by a parent, guardian or litigation friend. The injured child has up to the age of 21 to start a faulty iron burn injury claim on their own behalf.

Read more about claiming injury compensation on behalf of a child.

Do I need a diagnosis to make a faulty iron burn injury claim?

If you have been injured and are awaiting the results, you should still seek legal advice as soon as possible. The sooner you start a faulty iron burn injury claim after an accident, the more likely your claim is to succeed.

Product testing under EU law

Any product bought in the UK should have gone through rigorous testing to ensure it meets strict safety criteria before being sold. However, errors are sometimes made and unsafe products can end up on the shelves.

Many products sold in the EU require a CE mark. The CE mark is defined by the UK Government as:

"a manufacturer's claim that its product meets specified essential safety requirements set out in relevant European Directives."

A list of product types that require a CE mark can be found on the gov.uk website.

General product safety is regulated by GPS regulations and recognises certain technical standards as being safe for use. This applies to all products used by consumers.

Is an injury enough evidence to make a claim?

A defective product personal injury claim could be made if a claimant suffers an injury from a faulty product.

If you are burnt whilst using a faulty iron, you may be able to make a compensation claim. It may be more difficult to make a claim in the event that the product was not being used correctly, but your solicitor will be able to discuss this case in more detail.

To make a successful compensation claim, you would have to prove that the accident was someone else's fault. In the case of faulty products, the responsibility may lie with the manufacturer or sometimes with the importer or distributor of the product.

How do I prove the iron is dangerous?

If you have sustained an injury as a result of a faulty product at work, the incident should be recorded in an accident book and the names and addresses of any witnesses should be collected.

If possible, photographs should be taken of the faulty product. You should also keep the original purchase receipt as evidence of where the product came from.

The compensation sum will be dependent on the type of injury and any long-lasting effects the accident may have caused. Compensation can also be claimed for medical costs, prescription costs and any travel expenses incurred.

If you have suffered an injury as a result of a faulty product, Quittance offers a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your options and advise you if you have a claim.

Call us on freephone 0800 612 7456 or complete an online form and we will call you back at a convenient time for you.

How much compensation can I claim for a faulty iron burn injury?

The amount of money you could claim for your faulty iron burn injury will depend on:

  • the extent of your injury, and
  • any financial losses or costs you have incurred.

At the start of your claim, your solicitor will consider the many ways your faulty iron burn injury has affected your life. Your solicitor will take all of these effects into account to calculate the correct compensation award for you.

This calculation will factor in 'general damages' and 'special damages'.

General damages

General damages are awarded for pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA).

Awards for general damages are set by the Judicial College and published in their guidelines for personal injury awards.

Special damages

Special damages are for financial losses and expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.

What can I claim for after a faulty iron burn injury? (see list)

Examples of special damages (losses you can claim for) include:

  • Lost earnings (including future earnings)
  • Medical treatment costs
  • Physiotherapy
  • Travel costs
  • Costs of care
  • Costs of adapting your home or car

What is the average injury compensation for a faulty iron burn injury claim?

The Judicial College injury tables give a approximate idea of the ranges awarded for different injuries.

However, the money you would receive following a faulty iron burn injury will depend entirely on your specific circumstances.

Your faulty iron burn injury compensation will be calculated based on the unique impact your injuries have had on your life, your ability to work, and the actual financial losses you have incurred as a result of your injuries.

Will I have to pay tax on my faulty iron burn injury compensation?

If you receive financial compensation following a faulty iron burn injury injury, specific legislation ensures that you do not have to pay tax on it. This is the case no matter whether the compensation is received as a lump sum or as staggered payments.

Faulty iron burn injury compensation

Calculating how much compensation you can claim for a faulty iron burn injury can be complicated.

Our injury compensation calculator tells you if you may have a claim, how much compensation you could claim, and what you can claim for.

Find out what your faulty iron burn injury claim could be worth now:

Calculate compensation

How long does a faulty iron burns injury claim take?

The length of time needed to secure compensation for a faulty iron injury can vary considerably.

For instance, a simple liability accepted injury claim can settle in a couple of months. However, if liability is denied the process might take considerably longer. On average an injury claim takes between 4 and 9 months. See: How long will my claim take?

Caring and sensitive support

Your solicitor will handle your faulty iron burn injury claim from the initial consultation through to the financial settlement. In addition, your solicitor will work with other specialists to help you with:

  • Financial support: interim payments while you are unable to work.
  • Advice: on personal injury trusts, tax and welfare benefits.
  • Coordination: with rehabilitation providers and therapists.
  • Access: to treatment and therapies not always available on the NHS.

How did your injury occur?

The claims process that your solicitor follows will vary, depending on how the injury occurred:

No win, no fee, no risk

'No win, no fee' means that if you do not win your faulty iron burn injury claim, you will not have to pay any legal fees. Known as a 'Conditional Fee Agreement' or 'CFA', no win, no fee is a legal contract entered into between you and your solicitor.

Our no win, no fee promise

If you have been injured through no fault of your own, our no win, no fee guarantee takes the risk out of claiming compensation for your faulty iron burn injury. Read more about making a No win, no fee claim

What do I pay if I win my faulty iron burn injury claim?

Your injury solicitor will receive a success fee which is deducted from your compensation, only after your compensation is awarded. The solicitor's success fee can be up to 25%. Your solicitor will agree a success fee with you before you start your claim.

What do I pay if I do not win my faulty iron burn injury claim?

If your faulty iron burn injury claim is not successful then you won't have to pay your solicitor any fees. Your solicitor may take out insurance to ensure there will be nothing to pay.

Is there a catch?

The Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) sets out the terms between you and your solicitor., No Win No Fee is a regulated activity and as such there should be no nasty surprises in the agreement. Nevertheless, it is recommended that you read the agreement carefully and ask any questions if you are unsure.

How do personal injury solicitors get paid?

If your faulty iron burn injury claim is successful, the defendant, or their insurer, will pay the compensation and your solicitors fees.

How can Quittance help?

Your solicitor will fight for the best possible compensation settlement for you, the highly-experienced panel of solicitors have an excellent track record of winning injury claims.

If you have any questions, or would like to start a No Win No Fee claim, we are open 8am to 9pm weekdays, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, and 9.30am to 5pm on Sunday.

Call us FREE 0800 612 7456 or arrange a callback:

Call me back
  • Tick icon FREE consultation
  • Tick icon Find out if you can claim
  • Tick icon No obligation to start a claim

Faulty iron burn injury FAQ's

Can I claim for someone else?

Yes. In certain circumstances, it is possible to claim compensation on behalf of another person in the capacity of a 'litigation friend'.

If an injured person is either too young or vulnerable, too injured or otherwise unable to claim on their own behalf, their litigation friend can handle the claim process on behalf of the injured person.

The litigation friend will be responsible for communicating with the solicitors, and for making decisions in respect of the claim.

Read more about claiming on behalf of another person.

Can I claim if I was partly responsible for an accident?

You may still be able to claim compensation even if you contributed to your accident or to your injuries.

However, if you were partly to blame (known as contributory negligence), your compensation may be reduced and it may be more difficult to prove liability.

Read more about claiming compensation if you were partly responsible for an accident.

How long do I have to make a faulty iron burn injury claim?

In general, you have a time limit of up to 3 years from the date of the faulty iron burn injury to make an injury claim.

The last date you can make a claim is known as the claim limitation date - after which your faulty iron burn injury claim becomes 'statute barred'.

Can I claim for a faulty iron burn injury after 3 years?

Possibly. The general rule for adults is that a claim must be started within three years.

However, the three-year countdown starts on the day you learned of your injury or illness. This will usually be the date of the accident, but could be the date your doctor gave you a diagnosis.

If you were injured as a child, you do have up until your 21st birthday to make a claim.

There other circumstances that can also impact the limitation date. Call us now on 0800 612 7456 to find out if you are still able to claim faulty iron burn injury compensation.

In reality, there are a number of factors that can affect whether a faulty iron burn injury claim will be taken on by a solicitor.

Calculate your claim limitation date

Will I have to go to court?

Highly unlikely. The vast majority of claims that are settled by the solicitor panel are settled out of court.

Only a very small percentage (approx. 5%) of personal injury claims go to court. Generally, only very complex cases, or those where liability cannot be resolved, end up in court.

Cases that do ultimately go to court are held in front of a judge, not a jury.

Read more: Will my injury claim go to court and what if it does?

Will I have to go to a solicitor's office?

No. You will not need visit a solicitor's office. As with most professional services, it is no longer necessary to meet face to face with your solicitor. Personal injury claims are dealt with via email, post and telephone.

Should you need to have a medical, this will be arranged at a medical centre near you or at your GP's surgery.

Read more: Will I have to visit a solicitor's office?

Can I get an early compensation payment?

If you suffer financial hardship as a result of an injury, you may be able to claim an interim compensation payment.

An interim payment is a partial settlement of your claim which is paid before your claim is concluded. The amount you receive in interim payments would then be deducted from your final compensation settlement or award.

Read more about interim compensation payments.

Howard Willis, Personal injury solicitor

About the author

Howard qualified as a solicitor in 1984 and has specialised in personal injury for over 25 years. He is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and is a recognised Law Society Personal Injury Panel expert.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert