Leaking pipe accident claims
Updated: October 8, 2018
Leaking pipes can become a serious hazard if they are not attended to relatively quickly. Water or liquid from a leaking pipe can form a pool in a path or walkway, or it can freeze and cause a slippery or unstable surface. If you slip on such a spillage or surface, the resulting fall could cause you to suffer an injury. If this is the case, you may be entitled to compensation for your slip injuries.
Do I have a claim for a leaking pipe injury?
If you have suffered a leaking pipe injury in the last three years and someone else was to blame, then we can help you make a compensation claim.Back to top
Where might leaking pipes occur?
There are many environments in which leaking pipes might become an issue, including:
- A public footpath or road
- Commercial premises such as a shop, restaurant or leisure facilities
- Educational sites such as schools, colleges or universities
- A private dwelling such as a house
- Local government premises such as office or court buildings
What can happen if you slip because of leakage from pipes?
The result of such a slip can cause a fall, the consequences of which can range in severity. You could suffer a sprain, bruising, damaged muscles, broken limbs or concussion, for example. Your injury could be relatively minor and one from which you make a rapid recovery, or you may need specialist medical treatment to regain full health.Back to top
Who is responsible for injuries caused by leaking pipes?
This is very much dependent on the environment in which the injury occurs. If you are hurt whilst visiting commercial premises, such as a shop, the shop owner will be liable for what has happened. If your accident occurs on a public walkway, the government body responsible for its maintenance could be held accountable. If you're injured at someone's home, they could bear responsibility for the incident.Back to top
What should you do if you have been injured by a slip as the result of leaking pipes?
In the first instance, you should seek medical attention. Your health should be the priority, and it is important to have your injury assessed by a professional who can advise on the most appropriate care and medication, if required. Having received the attention you need, your thoughts might turn to seeking compensation for what has happened. There are several things you can do to expedite the process, including:
- Contact a solicitor who is well versed in the law for cases like yours: Quittance's panel of solicitors will be able to help.
- Take photographs of your injury: this can add credence to your case, and prove that you have suffered as a result of what has happened.
- Create a record of how you have been affected by your accident: this could be in the form of a diary, in which you describe the difficulty you are having with tasks you would have found easy before, such as having a shower or bath.
- Keep receipts of any costs you have incurred as a result of the incident: this could include additional childcare, taxis, or mobility aids.
- Make a firm commitment to engage with any rehabilitation therapy that is offered by medical professionals, such as physiotherapy, hydrotherapy or counselling.
If you have been hurt because of a fall caused by a dangerous surface that resulted from a leaking pipe, it is likely that you will be entitled to claim personal injury compensation. Quittance's panel of solicitors can advise you on every step of the process, so that you can regain your previous health and financial status as much as is possible.Back to top
Calculate my leaking pipe injury compensation
The amount of compensation you will receive depends on a number of factors. Our personal injury compensation calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.Back to top
Meet the team
Quittance Legal Services' nationwide network of solicitors carry out the legal work for all types of compensation claim and have a wealth of expertise with fast track, complex and catastrophic injury claims. Selected for their success rate in winning claims, QLS's solicitors have years of dedicated experience.
Click here to meet more of the Quittance Legal Services team.
About the author
Paul is a member of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel, a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, and has served as a Deputy District Judge, giving him a uniquely broad understanding of the claims process.
Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert
Start a no win, no fee claim
If you have been injured and would like to talk to us about making a claim, contact us now for a no obligation discussion. Our expert personal injury solicitors have a 90% success rate and are on hand to help you now.
Rakhi Chauhan secures £80,000 following a road collision with a lorry
The victim was forced off the road when a lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel.
Kevin Walker obtains £80,000 for a construction worker's catastrophic hand injury
The worker also recieved trauma-specialist physiotherapy, welfare advice and state-of-the-art prostheses.
Ask an expert
If you have any questions about the claims process or any aspect of injury compensation, let us know: