Home moving injury claims - Introduction
Injuries sustained during a house move are common, but are there any circumstances when it is possible to claim compensation for such injuries?
Do I have a claim for an injury when moving home?
If you have suffered an injury when moving home in the last three years and someone else was to blame, then we can help you make a compensation claim.
Typical home moving injuries
Moving home can be more hazardous than many people realise.
In the weeks before the actual move date, boxes are packed and stacked, furniture is shuffled around, lofts are cleared, ladders used, shelves are cleared, appliances disconnected and so on.
In fact, the lead up to moving is fraught with statistically perilous activities that result in thousands of people getting injured every year.
Sometimes the causes of accidents are less predictable such as children or pets climbing on stacked boxes leading to injury.
Minimising the risk
Minimising the risk of injury during and in the run up to the move is mostly common sense. Packing sensibly, removing trip hazards and lifting from the knees are all well known and well worth remembering on the day.
For a more detailed article on minimising the risks of injury when moving home see Completely Moved.
However, most of the injuries sustained when packing will be sustained in the person's home. It is unlikely that the person's injuries will result from the recklessness or negligence of a third party.
Under what circumstances can a no win no fee compensation claim be made?
If you are injured in the process of moving home where a another person or company owes you a duty of care, then it may be possible to pursue financial compensation.
It would also be necessary to demonstrate that this third party behaved recklessly or negligently and the injuries would need to be sustained as a direct result of this
The following are examples of scenarios where this might occur and a claim may be possible.
- Road traffic injuries sustained in the removals van - People often accept a lift in the removals van. (In accepting a lift it would be wise to enquire about the insurance position.). If an injury is sustained as reesult of a collision in the van then a claim may be possible
- Full packing service - Increasingly home movers are choosing a full packing service offered by removals companies. This would entail tne company packing all of the movers belongings into crates thbefore the move. Usuallly crates are left stacked overnighta and collected a day or so later on thne day of the move. If an injury results from dangerous or unsafe packing or stacking of boxes a claim may be possible.
- Trip hazards - Any trip hazards resulting from the removals companys placement of items e.g. boxes left on stairs or hallways could be grounds for a claim. Similarly spillages e.g. from water hoses hanging off the back of appliabces where they are carried might create a slip hazard.
- Defective crates - Anothe popular option is crate rental. Robust crates are delivered to the movers home in advance of the move and collected from the new address after the move is complete. Any injury resulting from a defective crate could mean that a claim is possible.
- Storage facilities - These are often used in advance of a move or even as an interim storage facility where there is a delay between moving out and moving in. Storage facilities present their own list of hazards such as dangerous and defective trollies and the need to manoevre these along narrow corridors. Accidents on storage facility premises are common and the facilities are often unattended. Accidents on stairs and lifts can also occur.
The above are examples but there are many more scenarios where injury might occur during a home move. The key point is that a duty of care is owed to the injured person.
If you have been injured during a move and you would like to speak to an expert about the possibility of a calim, call us on 0800 612 0377 for a no obligation discussion. If we think a claim may be possible we work on a no win no fee basis.
How much compensation can I claim if injured when moving home?
The amount of compensation you will receive depends on a number of factors. Our personal injury compensation calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.
Accident at work case study
£5000 awarded for trip on poorly maintained cobbles. View case study