Drain or manhole injury compensation claims

In the following guide we set out what you need to know about making a drain cover accident compensation claim.

How much can I claim?

Defective, loose or missing manhole covers can cause serious injuries to pedestrians. The most common types of injury caused by manhole accidents are leg injuries, including fractures, breaks and sprains.

If an individual has an accident involving a manhole then they may be able to claim compensation. The manhole cover or drain should have been regularly maintained and checked for safety and a failure to have done so may about to a breach of duty of care.

Generally, the responsibility for maintenance of drains and manhole covers falls on the local water and sewerage authority, but drains on privately-owned land must often be maintained by the owner or occupier of that property.A solicitor can confirm who a claim should be made against.

If the party responsible failed to conduct reasonable maintenance to ensure the drains were safe to walk on or near, and you were injured as a result, it is likely that it is possible to make a claim.

Missing manhole cover

Do I have a claim for a drain or manhole cover injury?

If you were injured in a drain or manhole cover accident in the last three years (longer if children were involved) and someone else was to blame, then we can help you make a compensation claim.

Do I have a claim?

Making a manhole accident compensation claim

If the accident occurred while you were at work, details of the accident should be recorded in your company's accident book. If possible, photographs of the scene should be taken as evidence of the incident and specifically of the state of repair of the drain or manhole cover.

The names and addresses of any witnesses should be gathered as they may be requested to provide a statement to support the claim.

As is the case for any accident, medical attention should be sought as soon as possible. The results of the examination will be valuable medical evidence should you decide to claim and, more importantly, you may not be aware of the full extent of your injuries.

Slips and trips involving drains can often result in head injuries. Head trauma can often seem minor initially, but without proper treatment and monitoring can have serious consequences.

Compensation sum

The compensation sum is dependent on the severity of the injuries and any further treatment that may be needed.

Claimants may be able to claim for both general and special damages. General damages pertains to the pain and suffering a claimant has experienced as a direct result of the accident. This also includes any conditions that may have been worsened by the accident.

Special damages covers extra expenses such as travel costs, medical fees and loss of earnings (if a claimant has been left unable to work their usual job due to the accident). Legal advice should be sought in the first instance in order to calculate the chances of the claim's success along with an estimated compensation sum.

How much compensation can I claim for a drain or manhole cover injury?

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on a number of factors. Our personal injury compensation calculator provides an accurate estimate of your likely compensation.

How much can I claim?

Meet the QLS team

Our nationwide panel of solicitors take on all types of personal injury claims and have a wealth of experience in fast track, complex and catastrophic injury claims. Selected for their track record in winning claims, our lawyers have years of experience.

To meet more of our team, click here.

Kevin Walker Serious Injury Panel Solicitor
Emma Bell Employers and Public Liability Panel Solicitor
Shahida Chaudery Complex Injury Claims Panel Solicitor

No win, no fee drain or manhole injury claims - the facts

Legal Aid is no longer available for injury claims.

Personal injury solicitors now work on a No Win, No Fee basis.

No Win, No Fee means that if your claim is not successful, you will not need to pay any legal fees.

If you do win your case, a success fee will be deducted from the compensation award and paid to your solicitor.

Read more about how a No Win, No Fee agreement works

Gaynor Haliday, Legal researcher

About the author

Gaynor Haliday is an experienced legal researcher and published author. She has had numerous articles published in the press and is a legal industry commentator.

Read more about this Quittance Legal Expert

Ask an expert

If you have any questions about the claims process or any aspect of injury compensation, let us know: