How much stamp duty do I pay on a buy to let property?
If you buy a second property to be used as a buy to let, you are required to pay a stamp duty surcharge. Here is what you need to know.
Stamp duty calculator
New rules from 2016
In April 2016, a stamp duty surcharge was introduced by the Conservative government. Anyone buying a second (or additional) home, e.g to be used a buy-to-let, now has to pay a 3% surcharge over and above the standard rate of stamp duty.
The surcharge applies to any property purchased in England, Wales or Northern Ireland that is not the buyer’s main residence.
Stamp duty rates on buy to let properties and second homes
|Stamp duty bracket||Buy-to-let/second home rate (1st April 2016)|
|Up to £125,000||3%|
|£125,001 - £250,000||5%|
|£250,001 - £925,000||8%%|
|£925,001 - £1.5m||13%|
Who else might these changes affect?
The 3% surcharge does not only affect landlords purchasing a buy to let property, but anyone buying a property in addition to their main residence.
The surcharge is applicable even in the following cases:
- A parent buying a home for their child, unless the property is to be registered in their child’s name only.
- A married couple who own a property in one name only, then buy a second property in the other spouse’s name.
- Anyone who owns a property abroad, who subsequently buys a home in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- If you are selling your home: buying a second property before the first has sold. The additional stamp duty you paid while owning two properties can be claimed back if you sell your original home within three years.
Are any properties exempt?
Yes, the following properties are exempt from any stamp duty tax:
- Caravans and mobile homes
- Any property purchased for less than £40,000
It is also worth noting that properties purchased for less than £40,000 are not taken into account when an additional property is bought.
How can Quittance help?
If you are buying, selling, remortgaging or transferring equity in a home, our conveyancing solicitors can help.
Our conveyancing service aims to deliver a stress-free moving experience. In particular we focus on proactive communication as this can help drive a purchase or sale forwards to speedy completion.
Get an all-inclusive conveyancing quote
Quittance offer a guaranteed fixed fee, all-inclusive conveyancing service from £348. To get a conveyancing quote please use the conveyancing fees calculator below.
Call us FREE 0800 612 7456 or get an instant online quote: