buying a property?
We have put together a list of the conveyancing questions most frequently asked by people looking to purchase a property.
Buying a property FAQs
Money and Tax
- 95% Mortgage Guarantee Scheme - How does it work?
- Hidden costs - What do I need to know when buying a home?
- How can I save money when buying or selling a home?
- How much will my council tax be in 2020/21?
- How much will my council tax be in 2021/22?
- Stamp Duty - Can I avoid paying it?
- Stamp Duty - Can I get first time buyer relief?
- Stamp Duty - How much do I pay on a buy-to-let property?
- Stamp Duty - How much will I need to pay in 2021?
- Valuing a property - How do I get an accurate valuation?
Conveyancing Process for Buyers
- Buildings insurance - Why do buyers need insurance before exchanging contracts?
- Conveyancing in 2021? - What do buyers need to know?
- How do I speed up the conveyancing process?
- How long does conveyancing take?
- Mortgage lender panel membership - Is Quittance on my lender's panel?
- Offer accepted - What happens next?
- Searches - What are property searches, and do I need them?
Help to Buy Schemes
New Build Property
Choosing a Solicitor
- All-inclusive conveyancing quotes - How do I check what's included?
- Finding the best conveyancer or solicitor - How do I choose?
- Instructing a conveyancing solicitor - When is the best time to instruct?
- Mortgage lender panels - How do I check if a solicitor is on my lender's panel?
- Should I use an online conveyancer?
- Solicitors and licensed conveyancers - What is the difference?
About the Property
- Access issues - How do I spot the signs before buying?
- Buying a home without building regulations approval - What should I do?
- Conservation areas - What to know before buying a home?
- Flood risk - Is the property you want to buy at risk?
- Heating problems - What should I check before buying?
- Japanese Knotweed - What to check before buying a property?
- Listed buildings - What do I need to know before buying?
- Local area - How do I research the area before buying?
- Local development - What should I check before buying a home?
- Neighbours from hell - How to spot the signs before buying a house?
- Neighbours rights - What do I need to check before buying?
- Neighbours' rights - What can I check before I make an offer?
- Planning permission - What should I check before buying?
- Property boundaries - What do I need to check before making an offer?
- Property extensions - What do I need to check before buying an extended home?
- Roof problems - What do I need to check before making an offer?
- Solar panels - What to I need to check before buying a house?
- Water mains and sewage - What should I check when buying a home?
- Leasehold houses - Should I be wary of buying one?
- Risks of leasehold ownership - What do I need to know?
- Short leases - What are the risks of buying a short-lease flat?
- What do I need to know about buying a leasehold property?
- Buying a home with someone else - What do I need to know?
- Gazumping - How can I reduce the chance of losing the property?
- How do I negotiate the best price when buying a property?
- I have an offer on my house but nowhere to buy - what do I do?
- What do I need to check before buying a new build home?
Do you know your Official Copies from your Restrictive Covenants? Buying a home can introduce you to a new world of terminology.
Find more information about key conveyancing and property terms in the Conveyancing Glossary.