£14,346 award for legionnaires from air conditioning
Compensation of £14,346 was awarded to a 67 year-old man who contracted legionnaires' disease from a faulty air conditioning system in a hotel while on holiday in Egypt.
The Claimant was on holiday at a hotel in Egypt. After eleven days in the resort he began to feel unwell. He suffered shivering, tiredness, exhaustion, sickness and breathlessness. He was diagnosed as being infected with legionella pneumophila.
Three days later he arrived home. He was admitted to hospital as an emergency because his symptoms had worsened and he was suffering from chest pains and tachycardia. He was diagnosed with severe bilateral pneumonia.
During his stay in hospital in the UK, the claimant was infected with MRSA and a secondary hospital-acquired pneumonia.
He remained in hospital for a month. After being discharged he still suffered from breathlessness which would affect him for a year.
The Claimant suffered weight gain as he was unable to exercise, generally lacked energy and found that his memory was not as good as it previously had been.
It was alleged the tour operator was negligent insofar as they did not provide safe accommodation at the hotel.
The Claimant contracted legionnaire's disease as a result and suffered significant health issues for a period of a year.
The enjoyment of the holiday was reduced.
Conclusion and settlement
Lliability was not admitted and the case proceeded to a Court hearing. Compensation of £14,346 was accepted by way of a Court award.
£12,500 of the compensation was attributed to "pain, suffering and loss of amenity."
£839 was awarded for loss of enjoyment and value of the holiday.
The remaining compensation was attributed to sundry expenses and interest.